Thread: Enhanced disability premium ( aka disability income guarantee)

Enhanced disability premium ( aka disability income guarantee)

Hi i am hoping someone will be able to clarify if the enhanced disability premium is ever backdated once placed in esa support group. My brother has recently been placed in support group & his letter stated he now gets disability income guarantee ( which I believe is enhanced disability premium)at £15.55 a week. His circumstances are as follows;

* he receives dla Middle rate care low rate mob
    * he does not claim severe disability premium as he has a carer
    * he was initially placed in wrag group & backdated payment was made.
    * when decision was made I immediately wrote to them asking to look at decision again & submitted new evidence
    * two weeks later they placed him in support group
    * another backdated payment had just been awarded ( which appears to be a payment for the difference between wrag and support group)

There has been no backdated payment of the enhanced disability premium so I phoned dwp & was told that this is not backdated does anyone please know if this is correct? Thanks!

My friend was in a similar position as your Brother. He was in Wrag and appealed to be put in Support Group which was successful and his EDP was backdated to the start of his Wrag award (i think it was backdated 18+ months).

For DWP to tell you EDP isn't backdated is a lie...

I recently had my EDP backdated to July 2012, i mentioned it in this thread (different circumstances to you but shows EDP is backdated)...

http://www.youreable.com/forums/show...ll=1#post88417

What sort of time are we talking about with your Brother's Wrag to SG award and missed EDP?
    Last edited by MalvernGuy; 07-15-2015 at 04:40 PM.

To be eligible for the enhanced disability premium you either need to be receiving the higher rate care of DLA or be in the support group

http://www.entitledto.co.uk/help/dis...ms-in-benefits

Thanks for replying! My brother claimed esa in April 2014 and was in assessment phase until his medical in June 2015 where he was placed in wrag a week later, 2 weeks after that he was then placed in support group after they looked at decision again. He could not claim for the enhanced disability premium during assessment phase as he is on Middle rate care dla not high rate care. So am I correct in thinking the enhanced disability premium is not backdated to assessment phase but only backdated to the date that you have been put in the support group?

You're correct, he won't get EDP backdated to April 2014 (assessment phase)... but he should get it backdated to June 2015.

You can request a Mandatory Reconsideration on the EDP award but as it's only a few weeks money were talking about it might be best to leave it as it might be too much hassle.

Good luck.

Thanks for the information!

Hi

After thinking about it some more shouldn't your Brother be backdated to week 13 or 14 of his ESA claim?

Hope someone more knowledgeable than me can advise...

I got a little lost as what was backdated from when. I know I received a back payment of EDP when I was awarded PIP, (backdated to the day I first applied for PIP). I think I was backdated further when I was placed in the support group.

Hi my brother is now in the support group and has had his esa backdated to week 13 so he was awarded 48 weeks back pay however there was no back pay of enhanced disability premium. When i spoke to lady on the phone from dwp she said he is only eligible for the EDP from the day he was placed in the support group.