Thread: Help with learner on mobility

Help with learner on mobility

Hi there,

I would appreciate some help please in this matter, please excuse my ignorance as I am new to the scheme.

I am currently the only named driver on a mobility car, it's for my girlfriend's mother. I've had my licence just over 13 months, my girlfriend (just turned 21) is doing driving lessons currently and has her test booked for September, she rang the insurance company and asked if she could be put on the insurance as a learner. They told her that this was ok, and that I, the named driver of the car, would have to sit along side her.

What's confusing me is that I am under the assumption that I have to have had my licence for 3 full years in order to supervise a learner, and if this is the case then why did the insurance company say that this was ok. Unless they have overlooked it?. I doubt that they could overlook an important thing like that.

Anyway, thanks for all your help.

P.

As far as I was aware a learner driver can drive if with someone who holds a full driving licence - how long you've held it doesn't matter in my opinion.

Named driver's must live within 5 miles of the disabled person's residence. http://www.motability.co.uk/cars-and...ed-car-drivers

I live within the 5 mile limit

Thanks for your response.

I'm also sure it's over 21 and held licence for 3 years in order to supervise a learner. Maybe it is an oversight on there part not realising that you haven't had your license 3 years.

Seems like there would be no benefit from adding her as named driver until she has passed.

Quote Originally Posted by carl30 View Post
    I'm also sure it's over 21 and held licence for 3 years in order to supervise a learner. Maybe it is an oversight on there part not realising that you haven't had your license 3 years.

Seems like there would be no benefit from adding her as named driver until she has passed.
    That is what I am thinking. I am going to phone them tomorrow.

Thank you.

Yes, you need to be over 21 and have held a full licence for at least 3 years.

https://www.gov.uk/driving-lessons-l...ily-or-friends
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Best not to forget the BHP limits for the under 25s...I'm pretty sure they wouldn't allow a learner to learn in an Astra 2ltr 165bhp might be wrong tho...

Quote Originally Posted by Blastoff View Post
    Best not to forget the BHP limits for the under 25s...I'm pretty sure they wouldn't allow a learner to learn in an Astra 2ltr 165bhp might be wrong tho...
    You are correct, we got a Focus Titanium 1.0 ecoboost as she is going down as named driver when she passes her test.

Also check on websites as some cars below 115hp still not available under 25