Thread: My PIP story... mandatory reconsideration??

My PIP story... mandatory reconsideration??

Hi all.

I'm currently in receipt of a war pension on account of an injury sustained during military service. In recent months, the injury has worsened to the point where my mobility is becoming increasingly problematic and I have appealed the level of pension received from the War Pensions Agency.

However, on the advice of a fellow veteran, I applied for PIP and after an assessment at my local centre, have been awarded standard rate Daily Living and Standard rate Mobility.

Whilst grateful for this, I do think that my mobility problems have been underestimated somewhat in that whilst I can plan and undertake journeys, the level of anxiety related to issues such as breaking down or getting lost mean that I have to be accompanied, take both a map and a SATNAV and invariably travel early. Recently, I have taken to using taxi's and public transport where possible although again, I have to be accompanied when using trains.

So my question is, should I ask for mandatory reconsideration based on my anxiety? And if so, how best should I word it?

Just as importantly, I would hate to shoot myself in the foot and have this award taken away by asking for it to be looked at again and I note on the letter that this is a possibility.

Has this happened to anyone on the forum?

Hi Berko
    Whilst I cant advise you on what qualifies for high mobility as this is hard to recieve, i am sure someone will come along and give you more details.

However on the other question of them taking your award away I will say yes they can and yes they will do. This happened to me when I appealed a decision. A lot of people on here have had their awards stay the same, reduced or enhanced so the choice is up to you.

I dont think it is something that happens all that often but it can and does happen

Hopefully someone will come along and advise you more

Quote Originally Posted by xxxshonaxxx View Post
    Hi Berko
    Whilst I cant advise you on what qualifies for high mobility as this is hard to recieve, i am sure someone will come along and give you more details.

However on the other question of them taking your award away I will say yes they can and yes they will do. This happened to me when I appealed a decision. A lot of people on here have had their awards stay the same, reduced or enhanced so the choice is up to you.

I dont think it is something that happens all that often but it can and does happen

Hopefully someone will come along and advise you more
    Thank you for the reply. As I say, I would hate to shoot myself in the foot so to speak. The mobility portion of my award was 10 points for being able to walk no more than 20 metres which is correct. However, it didn't factor in anything relating to anxiety even though it was discussed at length.

it might help you to understand what this descriptor means by reading this

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ment-guide.pdf

page 115 onwards

As you are only needing 2 more points for enhanced so it could be worth trying for the anxiety. I have no experience of the anxiety part as my problems are physical.

From what you are saying you would probably satisfy descriptor

1b. Needs prompting to be able to undertake any journey to avoid overwhelming psychological distress to the claimant. 4 points

I know what you are saying about not wanting to risk what you have but maybe if you got some help from welfare rights or cab they may be able to fight your corner for you.

There are some really good knowledgeable people on here who may be able to help you further

Quote Originally Posted by pmlindyloo View Post
    it might help you to understand what this descriptor means by reading this

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...ment-guide.pdf

page 115 onwards
    Thank you. That is extremely useful as going by that, and in particular the definition of 'journey' as being local, I am on the correct tariff.

My problem is that I do regular long journeys for my work, occasionally to new destinations and whilst I'm generally anxious when travelling anyway, it's the build up and planning which cause me the most problems as well as the issue of having to be accompanied. Not exactly my wife's favourite activity and on public transport, it can prove extremely expensive. However, I have to power through and get on with it.

Quote Originally Posted by xxxshonaxxx View Post
    As you are only needing 2 more points for enhanced so it could be worth trying for the anxiety. I have no experience of the anxiety part as my problems are physical.

From what you are saying you would probably satisfy descriptor

1b. Needs prompting to be able to undertake any journey to avoid overwhelming psychological distress to the claimant. 4 points

I know what you are saying about not wanting to risk what you have but maybe if you got some help from welfare rights or cab they may be able to fight your corner for you.

There are some really good knowledgeable people on here who may be able to help you further

My problems are primarily physical as well, being linked to a broken back. The anxiety comes largely from a fear of breaking down which is crazy as I never break down!

(these are of course, famous last words!!)
    Last edited by Berko; 08-03-2015 at 03:55 PM.

I've decided not to appeal this after all as reading the information provided by pmlindyloo, I think that with the definition of the word 'journey' as it is, for me to qualify would require some bending of the facts and that wouldn't sit right with me.

Thanks for all your advice though.