Thread: Severe disability premium & Carers premium.

Severe disability premium & Carers premium.

Good morning, I'm new to this group & would greatly appreciate your valued opinion....
    Me & my partner live together on our own, we are in reciept of ESA "support group".....
    I recieve enhanced rate care PIP, "awarded March this year, backdated to 2014"
    My partner receives high rate care & low rate mobility, DLA,
    We was advised for my partner to claim carers allowance for me to enable him to get the carers premium in with our ESA, the same as I get for him,
    As expected he received underlying entitlement from the date my PIP was awarded, should the carers premium of been backdated to the date of award, as it wasn't ?.....
    Also with regard to SDP, we were advised we should be receiving the couple rate of this premium in with our ESA,
    As we are both disabled & receiving a qualifying disability benefit, no one lives with us,
    But because we both have underlying entitlement to carers allowance & recieve carers premium the DWP say we are not entitled....
    My understanding was that carers premium & severe disability premium could be paid together as long as no actual carers allowance is being paid?

I appreciate any advice given as my head is a muddle.
    Thankyou Kindly.

Am a bit unsure what you are currently claiming so could you please clarify with particular regard to who is claiming Carer's Allowance and for whom and what you are currently getting in benefits. Are either of you actually claiming the Carer's Allowance?

The Carer's Allowance and Premium can be backdated to the beginning of the PIP award.

Quote Originally Posted by pmlindyloo View Post
    Am a bit unsure what you are currently claiming so could you please clarify with particular regard to who is claiming Carer's Allowance and for whom and what you are currently getting in benefits. Are either of you actually claiming the Carer's Allowance?

The Carer's Allowance and Premium can be backdated to the beginning of the PIP award.
    We both claimed the carers allowance for each other but was told couldn't recieve this because of the overlapping benefits rule, so no we do not recieve carers allowance....we have underlying entitlement...
    We only recieve the carers premium x 2, in with our ESA...?
    But I think we should be receiving the couple rate SDP premium in with our ESA as we both recieve a Disability Benefit?

Which overlapping benefit rule applies to you?

Are you both receiving contribution based ESA as separate claims?

It might be easier for you to contact these people

https://www.carersuk.org/about-us/contact-us

and give them all the details rather than this question and answer session!!!!!!

The rules can be complicated but I can understand your concern as you do have to be receiving Carer's Allowance for it to affect Severe disability premium. If you are awarded the Carer's Premium only because you have an underlying entitlement to it then it should not affect your SDP

From what you have said I believe you should be awarded the higher rate if both of you have an underlying entitlement and both only receive the Carer's Premium.

In case I am missing something give the experts a call.

Quote Originally Posted by Kezcolle View Post
    We both claimed the carers allowance for each other but was told couldn't recieve this because of the overlapping benefits rule, so no we do not recieve carers allowance....we have underlying entitlement...
    We only recieve the carers premium x 2, in with our ESA...?
    But I think we should be receiving the couple rate SDP premium in with our ESA as we both recieve a Disability Benefit?
    You should be entitled to two times carer premiums and one times couple rate SDP, there is no time limit on backdating of of these ESA premiums.

You will find more precise details about this in a thread over on good old benefits and work, http://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/for...=103628#132238

Thankyou Vikstar, I have written to DWP asking for a mandatory reconsideration, as they reason they say we are not entitled to Severe Disability Premium is because we have underlying entitlement to Carers Allowance, we only recieve 2x Carers Premium, no actual payment from Carers Allowance, so we will await their reply again.