Thread: Can I get ESA

Can I get ESA

Hello I am Rather new to this so cope with me

I have been awarded enhanced rate PIP in both sections

I have applied for ESA over the phone but am I entitled to it and if so what part

I have been asked to supply a doctors note supporting my claim

I don't think I can work because On my worst days I can't get out of bed or even sit in a chair as the pain in my back and legs are too intense even with pain killers

What's my options?

Thanks in advance

If you have been awarded enhanced PIP (both) then it is highly likely that you will qualify for ESA.

There are some things that you don't mention that will have a bearing.

Such as -

Do you have a partner? If so is your partner working?

If no partner do you live alone or with other familiy members?

Have you any income, pension, etc.
    Have you any savings or property other than your home?

Have you done any work and paid NI contributions in the last 2 years?

You have made the first step by starting your claim by telephone, in which they probably asked the above questions and more.
    You will soon be sent a statement about your claim which you must check but you do not have to sign it or return it.

You do need to keep sending them doctors notes (fit notes) while your claim is being decided (assessed).

If they accept your claim and the 'fit notes' they will then start paying you at the 'Assessment Rate'.

You will not get any payment for the first 7 days of your claim, unless it is linked to a previous claim.
    (ESA can be backdated for up to three months before the date of your claim, you do not have to give a reason for your late claim but it must be backed up by 'fit notes' for the period you are claiming).

Of course all this takes time and you have to be a bit patient.

You will then need to fill a claim form (ESA50) about how your condition affects your ability to work and may need to go for a 'Work Capability Assessment'.

If you had an assessment for PIP then the WCA is similar but the questions are different.
    For ESA they are assessing if you can manage any work at all.

Good luck,
    Come back if you have more questions.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thanks for the fast response

I have a partner, he is self employed as a taxi driver
    I have 1 child
    I have no income other than tax credits etc etc

I did have an interview for my PIP claim and he could easily see how much pain I was in as it was one of my worse days

It is likely that your partners job may mean that you are not able to claim ESA unless you have your own contributions record.

It will depend on income if not.
    PIP is not income related so no problems there.

Your claim has been made now so let it run and see what happens.
    But don't hold your breath.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

I appreciate this may not be possible, however thought it worth adding as it may be of benefit.

If it is at all possible you could work part time (minimum 16 hours), Then the disability premium would be added to your joint WTC claim. This combined with 16 hours worth of wages could represent a decent increase in your income.