Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Going abroad for more than 28 days

Going abroad for more than 28 days

Hi, I'm currently on ESA.

I may need to go away for a couple of months during the Winter.

As I understand it, if I go away for more than 28 days (i.e. the 6-8 wks I may need to be away), the DWP will suspend my claim.

When I return, what are the chances I'll have to be reassessed or that I'll have to reapply?

I guess I'll just have to explain the situation to them and see what they advise.

You have to inform the DWP if you go abroad for more than 4 weeks, unless it is for medical treatment for yourself or your child in which case you can get CB ESA (not IR ESA) for up to 26 weeks.
    https://www.gov.uk/claim-benefits-ab...ility-benefits

I'm not sure that they actually stop your claim if you go for longer, I think they just stop payments until you return.
    Of course this would depend on how long you go away for.

The best advice is to discuss this with your jobcentre.

It would be interesting if you could let us know what they say.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

I spoke to them. They said for 28 days absence I just needed to inform them but for longer the claim would be 'suspended'. I'm not clear what means. Perhaps someone can elaborate?

'Suspended' means just that, they will stop making any payments after 28 days, but your underlying claim is still valid.

It has not been 'Canceled' and can be reinstated without having to make a new claim, once you come back into the country.

I've returned from my period away. I haven't had any payments stopped but in regard to housing benefit the Council want to see evidence of my trip and continuous rental liability.

Thanks for reporting back.

Your council will have their own rules for HB which is why they want evidence.
    (Each council has different rules).

If you can provide a bit more about the ESA which may help people in a similar situation in future:

How many days were you actually out of the UK for?
    Were you in the EEA (or Switzerland)?
    Is your ESA Contribution Based or Income related?

They probly figure if you can afford a holiday of more than 28 days ABROAD; you got hidden capital and can afford NOT to be on ESA.
    that said depends on the "need to go away". If you can prove the need...

Going abroad for more than 28 days

Lot of people go to the abraod for enjoying the holidays in good way.I have checked some of the best Hotel Booking Sites which provides the details about the travel and help to understand the best abroad trips.Lot of people love to enjoy the vacation in abroad.
    Last edited by Kimmilloof; 11-01-2019 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmilloof View Post
    Lot of people go to the abraod for enjoying the holidays in good way.I have checked some of the best Hotel Booking Sites which provides the details about the travel and help to understand the best abroad trips.Lot of people love to enjoy the vacation in abroad.
    Kimmllof, I would LOVE a couple of months abroad. Our last holiday abroad wiped out my savings. We needed a carer with us so paying for 3 ppl AND the cost of a carer. Have to picky with hotels as have a wheelchair and need wetroom. It don't come cheap. And partners of dialysis, so that basically decides where we go and when. So yeah when I said "if you can afford more than 28 days abroad" thats a realistic statement.