Thread: ESA telephone interview

ESA telephone interview

Hi everyone.hope you are all well
    I am on ESA cont based support group.
    I have been on this for 10 months
    I had no face to face it was on evidence alone
    I also recieve pip high rate living
    Today I received a letter from job centre for a telephone ' interview' which will last about 20 mins.
    In the said letter this is to discuss I am getting the support I need and about the possibility of me going into paid work.
    How do I handle this.
    I don't want to be un- cooperative but I was of the understanding I did not have to have these types of ' interviews'
    Do you think I should ring them and ask what's going on or wait til they ring me with 'interview'

I'll let someone in the know answer this better than i can but just a quick search and i found this..

If you are getting contributory ESA, the award of this will be limited to 12 months, although you may be able to claim income-related ESA once the award has come to an end.

http://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/em...wance-overview

Quote Originally Posted by jan1963 View Post
    Hi everyone.hope you are all well
    I am on ESA cont based support group.
    I have been on this for 10 months
    I had no face to face it was on evidence alone
    I also recieve pip high rate living
    Today I received a letter from job centre for a telephone ' interview' which will last about 20 mins.
    In the said letter this is to discuss I am getting the support I need and about the possibility of me going into paid work.
    How do I handle this.
    I don't want to be un- cooperative but I was of the understanding I did not have to have these types of ' interviews'
    Do you think I should ring them and ask what's going on or wait til they ring me with 'interview'
    Purely voluntary

2.3 The Support Group
    The Support Group is the group of claimants with the most severe levels of disability who are considered to have limited capability for work-related activity.
    The criteria for the Support Group are set out in legislation. To be considered as having limited capability for work-related activity, there should be evidence of a severe level of functional limitation. However there are also some categories for Support Group inclusion, the Special Circumstances, where, although the claimant may not have severe functional limitation, it would be considered inappropriate for them to be asked to engage in work-related activity (e.g. the terminally ill group). Where severe functional limitation can be justified, this should be considered first and applied ahead of any special circumstances.

1.5 Sanctioning
    The process of sanctioning lies out with the AH process. To receive the higher rates of benefit, the claimant must be considered to be carrying out ?reasonable steps? to manage their condition and help move them towards the workplace.
    If the DM considers that the claimant has failed to participate in work-related activity, then the claimant may be sanctioned and their rate of benefit reduced.
    Those in the Support Group will not be required to participate in work-related activity and will therefore not be subject to sanctioning procedures. However a claimant in the Support Group may opt to participate voluntarily in work-related activity and engage with a PA.

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegiant View Post
    I'll let someone in the know answer this better than i can but just a quick search and i found this..

If you are getting contributory ESA, the award of this will be limited to 12 months, although you may be able to claim income-related ESA once the award has come to an end.

http://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/em...wance-overview
    How long does contribution-based ESA last?

Contribution based ESA can be paid for up to 365 days as long as you are accepted as being incapable of work and are placed in the work-related activity group after the assessment period, which should be the first 13 weeks of your claim. If you are placed in the support group there will be no time limit on how long you can receive contribution based ESA.
    Last edited by bspm; 10-10-2015 at 05:12 PM.

Thank you for your replies.
    Is it only Maximus that can assess me or can the job centre x

even in support group dwp should be calling to see if there is anything they can do that may help, some people whilst ill/disabled may want to try work or something like that.

just wait until they call you, see which way the call is going and if you dont want to continue politely say so.

How do I handle this.
    It's actualy quite simple.

Because you are on ESA they, nowadays, need to keep in touch.

They obviously realise from your files that it is not appropriate to ask you to go down to the jobcentre, so have asked to talk to you on the phone.

As you are in the support group you can say no, (by phone or by letter), thats enough for them to say that they have been in contact with you.

My advice-
    If you feel up to it then talk to them on the phone, you can always say 'I can't cope with this' and hang up if you are getting stressed.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Hi Jan. I'm also on esa support group and I have a man named mark who rings up every couple of months or so just to ask how things are going with you, he is very nice and polite and not scary at all they are not all monsters lol, just be honest with him about ops or appointments you may have coming up and I'm sure you will be fine try not to worry x