Thread: Had to seek new doctor

Had to seek new doctor

My trusted doctor of 25 years retired a few months ago and his practice closed - gutted.

Well getting a new doctor wasn't that difficult - here's how.

I was given the phone number of the NHS CCG support line local to me.

- I explained that I needed to get a repeat prescription but couldn't due to having no doctor
    - I explained the urgency as I'd had two heavy falls and head injuries on two occasions the last two days
    - they looked at the catchment areas and offered three doctor's surgeries

- I chose one and they contacted the in-house pharmacist to write out a prescription
    - I went to the surgery met the pharmacist who filled out the paperwork to join the chosen GP's practice

- they emailed the 'WELL' Chemist who dropped off the prescription.

From having no doctor to having a doctor and a prescription dropped off at my home took less than 4 hours - incredible service! Good old NHS.

That's a case of very good service, when the NHS staff do so much a good job, it might be worth dropping the practice manager a thank you note, as that really is going beyond what they are expected to.

I hope you took a bit of time to check out each surgery first otherwise it might be a case of sign up in haste and repent at leisure!

Time will tell catlover. The inhouse pharmacist recommended the doctor I chose as he sometimes worked alongside my now retired doctor. He also has an 'Excellent' rating with NHS Choices.

I've never been one who runs to a doctor for just a cold - just the opposite. I was suppose to visit A&E after head trauma after all a bang to the head can be worse than being involved in a car crash.

The good thing about my old doctor was that he was very easily accessed and that he listened.

I usually knew what was my illness and what the solution was - I just needed him to make things happen. I also never realised that there was a waiting list as I could phone his receptionist and get an appointment within hours the same day. I think that was because any consultation I had wouldn't last 5 minutes - in and out.

I've yet to try out my new doctor's service - I'm sure it will be OK.

You got an appt the SAME DAY? Oh dear dear LT, you are in for a shock. That is NOT the norm for a busy practice. And if they are busy they are good, but they do serve a urban population and that means lots of ppl.
    They do their best but sometimes its impossible to get appt for few days. The NHS does encourage ppl to go to the pharmacist for minor stuff now. (coughs, colds)

I can get an appointment the same day if it's an emergency but otherwise I have to book several days, or sometimes over a week, in advance. I think you've been spoiled, LT, by having an older doctor running a single GP practice and doing things the old fashioned way. You may find it's not like that now anywhere.

I knew the receptionists for my practice and I'd always have a few words with her first to find out how her day had been. It just helps to oil the wheels - that way any gaps in the day's list could be taken.

I'm not a time waster - in and out like a shot - 5 minutes tops.

I am not used to queuing up anywhere - in fact, come to think of it, I can't remember the last time I did as I 'skirt' around them not very British!