Thread: HELP Disabled Facilities Grant

HELP Disabled Facilities Grant

Wondering if anybody can help me regarding a DFG. I live in a Housing Association property and need help getting up and down the stairs, I applied for a DFG in June 2015 and was assesed by an occupational therapist who stated in her report it is "not practicable to fit adaptations to the property" when questioned she stated that it is not beneficial to the housing association to allow the local authority to carry out the works as the adaptations I would need would only be suited to me and if I was to ever move the property would be in effect un-letable (even though I only require a stairlift) the local authority are saying they are unable to carry out the work as my housing provider will not give them permission to do so. My housing provider is offering me to move to a two bedroomed ground floor flat and not offering me the help unless I do so, (they are working with the council to avoid adaptations) but I am very happy where I live and eventually want to purchase the property, I thought the whole point of the disabled facilities grants was to keep disabled tenants in the home they feel most comfortable in?

Looked into this kind of thing myself. You rent from a HA so ANY adaptions but need to be okayed (or not!) with them and they have the right to say no, and they HAVE offered you alternative accomodation, so they have fulfilled their obligation under the law. It sucks but thats it.
    OT would not consider me for improved entrance to my house because I don't use my wheelchair 24/7.....I still have difficulty getting it in and out tho!!
    If its just a stairlift, you can buy these very reasonable 2nd hand from preloved, gumtree etc BUT again you need permission from the landlord to put one in. If its a housing association, I can't see their beef, a DFG ties you to the property for 5 years anyway. (did you know that?) And if you swear to "make new" IF you move out.
    But also if its HA, I havenet heard of any HA SELLING property. I thought the idea is to keep them in the rental market which is shrinking enoff as it is.

I've not heard of HA selling properties either.Could you threated then with the Disabled Discrimination Act(I think its called that) or have a word with you local councillors and MP.

HA sell them through right to acquire is like right to buy there is certain criteria you have to meet
    https://www.gov.uk/right-to-acquire-...-home/overview

These stringent criteria are so that the measly amount of HA properties, there are, that are for rent; STAY in the rented sector, which god knows is small enough.
    There are lots and lots and lots of new homes, and help to buy schemes around.
    Have you considered paying for the stairlift yourself and having the work done yourself? Then you bypass the LA objecting and only need to get permission from Landlord. Swear you will make new IF you left and (stating the obvious) explain you need the adaptions so you don't NEED to move.