Thread: Advice On Meaco Dehumidifier

Advice On Meaco Dehumidifier

Hi,

I recently brought Meaco 10 Dehumidifier for Windows condensation/damp walls upstairs.

Is it normal to give out cold air? I never had an dehumidifier before. It arrived last Wednesday, so I had on it for 4 hours for two days and then I reduced it to two hours a day. I still have no idea, If I am doing it right. I live in a small 2 beds house with single glaze Windows.

Any advice, much appreciated x

According to the instruction manual this type of dehumidifier works by chilling the water out of the air and then heating the air back to room temperature before sending it back to the room.
    A compressor based dehumidifier draws the air in from the room over a filter and passes it over some cold coils similar to the coils on a fridge. As the coils are cold, water condenses and drips into a bucket. The air is then reheated to room temperature and blown back out of the dehumidifier.
    Download Instruction Manual

How cold is the air that is coming out?
    Page 11 of that manual says that it is normal for it to be blowing out warm air.

It also says in there that you should leave it on rather than switching it on and off, it will switch on/off automatically as it is needed.
    But don't forget the water collection tank will need emptying occasionally, it should beep to let you know when.

If the air coming out is much below room temperature then it would suggest that the re-heating is not working and the unit may be faulty.

Although remember if the air going in is very cold it will also be cool coming out again. (The reheating will only warm it up by so many degrees, its a dehumidifier not a heater).

If you still think that it is not reheating at all then take/send it back for a replacement?
    Last edited by nukecad; 10-25-2015 at 09:26 PM.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    According to the instruction manual this type of dehumidifier works by chilling the water out of the air and then heating the air back to room temperature before sending it back to the room.

Download Instruction Manual

How cold is the air that is coming out?
    Page 11 of that manual says that it is normal for it to be blowing out warm air.

It also says in there that you should leave it on rather than switching it on and off, it will switch on/off automatically as it is needed.
    But don't forget the water collection tank will need emptying occasionally, it should beep to let you know when.

If the air coming out is much below room temperature then it would suggest that the re-heating is not working and the unit may be faulty.

Although remember if the air going in is very cold it will also be cool coming out again. (The reheating will only warm it up by so many degrees, its a dehumidifier not a heater).

If you still think that it is not reheating at all then take/send it back for a replacement?
    Thank you for your response.

Just blowing out cold/cool air, no warm air. The dehumidifier had been collecting water and I had been emptying the tank. Even when I put on Laundry Mode Setting is just giving out cool air, no luke warm. Maybe the weather had been quite mild considering.

Do you think I should get a replace it it exchange it?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shystar View Post
    Do you think I should get a replace it it exchange it?
    Well in the end thats up to you.

The fact that is collecting water shows that it is doing the job you bought it for.
    It is not meant to heat or cool the room, just take the water out of the air.

Does it realy matter what temperature the air coming out of it is?

If you are still not happy then try contacting the maker, there is a freephone number and an e-mail on the last page of the instruction book.
    Last edited by nukecad; 10-27-2015 at 03:17 AM.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Sorry replying back late. It's seem to be working and I didn't asked to replace it in the end.

Thanks.

Just to clear up the confusion, only the units that exhaust through a hose (no water canister) emit warm damp air.

The appliances don't cool rooms, instead dehumidifiers add heat with the energy generated to dehumidify the space. But since dry air feels cooler than moist air, even if the dry air is slightly warmer, a dehumidified room feels cooler than a room filled with humid air.

I believe the air should be slightly warmer than room temp but as it’s blowing it may feel cooler. If you’re emptying it then it’s working, mine is a godsend, the humidity was almost 80% and it’s down to 45-50. It’s clearly up my asthma being triggered and helps stop that pesky black mold from spreading.