Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: managing Christmas whilst on benefits?

You can celebrate christmas w.o. buying into all the festive crap. As has been said, if your a little bit "crafty" you can make your own. Charity shops. Another brill source of pressies - often unwanted ones from someone elses!. Around now they try and put stuff out suitable for gifts. Theres no unwriiten law says you HAVE to spend tons of money on everyone. Those ads? its just to try and boost their sales!

We buy all our presents off the catalogue by now pay later and if possible sale items I then calculate the monthly amount to clear the purchases before any interest is due.The catalogue we use has the same prices as the shops sometimes cheaper but you have to spend over £200 to get bnpl.

For many Christmas times now, my sisters-in-law give my hubby and I a box of biccies as a present...and we reciprocate with a bottle of wine each for them. We don't drink so biccies are excellent. We don't buy much for each other as we have what we need...I love scent so this is usually what I receive...and he loves anything I give him. You don't need to spend a fortune on loved ones or get yourself into debt to pay for presents if loved ones know your circumstances. Just be happy you have one another and enjoy the day.

Just buying a small gift through out the years may be helpful but -----

Can I ask why you are not getting any funding for your care, surely an assessment is needed to help you out with this
    Sea Queen

We save through Park Christmas Savings all year by monthly direct debit and get a booklet of shopping vouchers every November, which are a Godsend with 2 young adult kids and 2 teenagers to buy for. Only trouble is you're limited to certain shops, but with big shops like Argos, Boots & WHSmith accepting them, we don't have much trouble finding suitable presents and give the two eldest some vouchers so they can go and choose something they want in the sales. Hubby and I never spend a lot on each other and as others have said, only buy small gifts for adult relatives to cut costs.
    Grocery wise, I start a couple of months in advance buying bits of non perishable Xmas food/drink each time I shop so we don't have a huge expensive food shop just before Xmas day, and I always look out for special offers and/or reduced fresh food which can be frozen to cut the food bill, and we've had some lovely meat and fish costing next to nothing over the years.
    It's hard to balance the budget, but the kids know there's a limit and not to expect too much. We've never been well off even before I had to stop work, so luckily they've grown up to appreciate what they do get and, if told that something is too expensive, will either agree to share as a joint present (like when they got their Xbox), or will readily accept it and look for something more realistic.

I usually take out £40 a month minimum each month for gifts and food, i start this straight after Xmas and carry on every year, then put what I don't use in a jar

Christmas - I normally try to put £40 aside each month, from June toward my son's presents. If I really struggling with money finance, my parents help me out in that department which I am very grateful for.

Budget, make, raid charity shops.. Oxfam is great for small gifts, chocolates. I think I may have gone a bit over what I was going to, but.. I get if people ASK and I can afford. I have most things I need, so I'm tough to buy for!

I really must make some of those truffles again this year. They were SOOO delicious! :

This is a good topic, Christmas is an awkward time for the disabled and the lonely. my surviving family from my genes dont agree much anymore (long story) we had one good Christmas together as brother (me) and two sisters last Christmas, but it seems it wont happen again, we dont get on at all.

I'll be alone this Christmas, but been through that before ... I think Christmas is hyped quite a bit, if you tune into TV programs it will be with 15 min adverts telling us of the joy of this time of year and then sell, sell sell.

I'm fairly physically disabled now and never went to see the high street Christmas lights switched on, dont think I ever have to tell the truth? Its not my thing ... Being disabled I've become very independent, wearing on in years ... 56 now, dont care for TV, it not that important to me, what is important is my Internet connection, its my lifeline, it really is.

I honestly find avoiding the whole sell, sell, sell Christmas now a days theme helpful in getting by this difficult time of year.

I'll be alone at Christmas and New Year again, and its not so bad, been there done that ETC, its just another day.

Having said that, have earmarked a couple of christmasy themed vids to watch on the day, gonna watch "Its a Wonderful Life" and do some chat rooms.

We have a simple xmas. Probly go to church IF I can get a lift. (taxis charge double at xmas) Otherwise we watch want we want, drink and eat what we like and generally have a good time. I MAY be able to get out, looking doubtfull......arm in a sling apparently by then..