Thread: Income based ESA and moving from current property

Income based ESA and moving from current property

Hello everyone, this is my first time asking anything about anything in a forum so please bear with me if I mess anything up!

I am currently living with my partner and her daughter and have had a year of glorious love and fun but I fear this is coming to an end.

I am on Income ESA and and my partner works 24hours a week. This means my benefit payment has been totally relinquished. My housing benefit equals under a pound a week and the council tax too is tiny.

This means all the money is tied into my partner, how am I supposed to move out without my own money and how can I have my own money without my own place.

I don't know the law very well but I don't see this relationship lasting and neither does my partner unfortunately. I should have mentioned we are not married.

Thank you for all help available

You could contact the relevant benefits offices and state you are no longer a couple, even though you share the same accommodation out of necessity (and don't share a room etc) and your benefits will be restored to a singles person. Whether they believe it is another matter but there's no harm in contacting them directly for advice.

Failing that (don't know the tenancy situation) you could contact the council/housing associations and tell them you are about to be made homeless because of the situation (they'd probably want to verify your partner is kicking you out, if tenancy in their name) and they'll probably help get you somewhere, even if it wasn't a great property you can save there back to single person money.
    Last edited by PuthNation; 11-29-2015 at 09:18 PM.

First of all sorry to hear ur relationship is on the ticks however there are a number of things that can be done
    Firstly if your on a shared tenancy the council can find you alternative accomadation however u will have to relunquish ur tenancy if it is joint at present secondly you could state to any benfit department tht you have dolit and are no longer in a relationship however as puth said prooving it is going to be very difficult if you go into ur council and explain u are breaking up the have a duty by law to help you even if you are not a joint tenant u will have to prove u have lived there for 52 weeks some councils may vary tho they will then explain in detsil how they will help you good luck and hope this helps