Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Getting around a very large garden

Around here you see quite a few tyre stacks with potatoes and other veg. and salad plants growing in them.
    Helps save on the shopping bills, and homegrown always tastes better.

They are especially good for potatoes though as you just keep adding another tyre as the plants grow and get lots of spuds underneath.
    http://www.kiddiegardens.com/growing..._in_tires.html

(PS. that website has some good ideas for easy gardening, it's written from a kid friendly perspective which also often helps if you have limited access or mobility).

Some people do raise concerns about chemicals leeching from the rubber of the tyres.
    TBH I wouldnt worry, if tyres were giving off chemicals all the time they would fall apart on the car.
    You are more likely to get chemicals off the wood treatment on your fence, patio, or raised bed.
    Last edited by nukecad; 24-01-16 at 11:33.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Research, try to get to the mobility Roadshow http://www.mobilityroadshow.co.uk if you can, have a look online, post questions on forums like this, look at product reviews on youtube etc

As for the garden. Get the hard landscaping out on paper, for funding consider a grant search if short of funding. You need to think long term, if your want to use it, raised beds, hanging baskets, fence planting.

https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Find-Benefits-Grants (grants for wheelchairs also available.

Possibly the cheapest option would be cement with gravel topping, smooth enough to grip and a classic low budget path option (any moss/algei can be powersprayed off annually and it will have a LONG long life).

I'd LOVE to have a large accessible garden to share with the girl, but that seems an impossibility right now. (Horticulture is my profession).

hi not sure if i have posted in right place i am going to lake district with 2 friends one who has ms and dependant on be pushed in a wheelchair
    her wheelchair is mainly for indoor use and can wobble and shudder when we go to far let alone grass.
    i have been looking to hire an off road wheelchair for a week have found one that would be ideal from mountain trike but is more expensive to hire than her share of holiday any help would be appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by grr73 View Post
    i have been looking to hire an off road wheelchair for a week have found one that would be ideal from mountain trike but is more expensive to hire than her share of holiday any help would be appreciated
    Off road wheelchair. If your friend has MS no doubt she will have weakness in her hands and won't be able to self-propel for long.

I badly damaged my leg a day before I was due to go to the Lake District and couldn't self-propel as only one arm works.

Rather than cancel I phoned the Shopmobility branch in the Lake District. I needed a scooter for 5 days.

They suggested either a 3 or 4 wheel scooter - I didn't know which to go for so they brought two scooters to the hotel I was staying in. I made the mistake of choosing the three wheeler as I thought it might be easier to transport.

As it happened the hotel we stayed at hand a small accessible lift with a tail=lift so I never used the car while there. I did use the three wheeler in shops, on the roa and foolishly on bumpy grassland. That are notoriously unstable and I got gently tipped out twice in 5 days.

Here's a link to Shopmobility to find out about rates and delivery charges. https://nationalcareersservice.direc...lifecoach.aspx

We actually stayed in a lovely hotel that is aimed at visually impaired of blind people but it's open to anyone really.
    My father had a visual impairment. They are about one5 third less than a standard 3 star hotel but offer free daily trips out using their accessible bus. There's also a swimming pool in the basement. aIf your friend is a full time wheelchair user ask about the lift width if staying upstairs as I don't think it was very big. There are ground floor bedrooms and first floor rooms at the front have beautiful views.

They are called vision hotels = not a chain. http://www.visionhotels.co.uk/windermere-manor-hotel/

I'd recommend contacting the National Trust about their accessible paths; I enjoy Tarn Howes - although I'm not sure how much it will have been affected by the floods. I think NT have some scooters available that will cope with paths that aren't Tarmac - I'd definitely check this out in advance and book. THINK they're available at Tarn Howes with some notice. I'm afraid there is no easy solution to this - but I find a small boot scooter copes with pathways, grass and slopes. But doesn't cope well with gravel. I hope that it stops raining, mud and soggy wet grass really need something tougher. You can hire scooters, if possible it might be worth trying one out before the holiday, and then you can plan based on what seems manageable. If your friend enjoys getting out into proper fresh air, in the longer term it might be worth investigating attempting to find funds to buy something appropriate. Trekinetic chairs are the most impressive I've seen!

I bought a Shoprider Sovereign 4 Delux from Preloved, the lady selling had bought it new and just done a few miles to shop every week.....
    I paid £240.00 Very good condition, properly looked after . I had a TGA Buddy 3 wheeler before that and it was good but not as stable as a 4 wheeler.
    I have been round the local nature reserves on both of these, the Sovereign copes best.
    I will also be visiting stately homes etc and going on the woodland trails.........
    The sovereign has 10" wheels, pneumatic, rear driven and has 3" ground clearance.
    The range is 20 miles with a 20 stone rider,and I weigh about a third of that so will get abetter range..
    Not classed as a boot scooter, but have a 4 way hoist fitted to a peugeot 308SW estate car and it just fits in.
    Sovereign is very comfortable, large front basket, front and rear lights and horn.
    I am gradually upgrading it, LED lights and spotlights, twin USB point, phone holder on handlebar with GPS app acting as sat nav, tyres are being puncture proofed ( Tin of gloop, seals any punctures)
    This model is about the commonest n UK so no problem finding one or getting spares and accessories.
    One other thing about this model..............in the headset there is a "secret" controller. one tweak and it becomes a 7mph scooter. Bit naughty but only used in wide open spaces away from public.
    See if you can get a demo of one to try in your garden.