Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: blue badge renewal

blue badge renewal

Good afternoon and happy new year!

I've never posted on here before, but I was just wondering. My blue badge expires in April, so how early could I apply to renew it?

Many thanks everyone .

Often a couple of months before.

Hello Turtleman1

I was sent blue badge renewal application forms from my local council, around a month before mine was due to expire.

Happy new year.

Oh ok.

Thankyou for letting me know. I didnt realise they sent out renewal forms .

I think it depends hugely on your local council's policies. It's also worth noting the Wales and England (and possibly Scotland too) seem to have different policies. I would suggest that you wait until about a month before it is due to expire and if you have not had a renewal invitation, then that would be a good time to contact your local council.

There's a fairly new system you will go through when reapplying for a Blue Badge.

You will either need to complete a 20 page application. Or if you get DLA/PIP 's mobility component it's cut dow4n to 4 pages.

When completed you will be asked to visit a local library or Council Office where they will require about £10 to process the application. They will also get your signature and take a digital photo of you that will be reproduced on the back of the badge.

They digitally send all your information to a central unit that produce Blue Badges for the whole country.

Depending on how urgently you need the badge before your original one expires it will be mailed to you in time.

When my Blue Badge was due to expire it was during the first week of the new system and they hadn't revised the price so I only paid £2 and it was urgent so it was turned arounnd in 6 working days.

On the safe side allow up to a month before getting in touch with the Blue Badge section at your Council.

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    There's a fairly new system you will go through when reapplying for a Blue Badge.

When completed you will be asked to visit a local library or Council Office where they will require about £10 to process the application. They will also get your signature and take a digital photo of you that will be reproduced on the back of the badge.

That bit rather depends upon where one resides and how the local authority who administer the scheme operate.

In this part of the country one has to send a digital photo if applying online (and pay by debit card online) or a standard passport photo if applying clerically (and pay by cheque/PO). There are no libraries etc with digital cameras in our local authority area!

LT, all areas are different, I send my application in by post, only a form one sided to say I am still eligible along with proof and photo. We are then invoiced later and can pay on line

Here in Scotland we are different to the rest of the country. For a Start a Blue Badge Costs £20.00 but you do get them quicker as the Badges are made by your Local Council. At least my last one was and that was only a few months ago.
    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.
    Edgar Allen Poe

New badges can be ordered from the blue badge improvement service up to 10 weeks before the previous badge expires but your local authority may now allow applications this early - best check with them. Also worth checking your local council's website for any indication of how long you can expect to wait for your application to be processed so that you allow time for this. If you are automatically entitled to a badge, it's likely to be a speedier process so if you are applying under the discretionary criteria probably best to allow a bit longer in case a mobility assessment is required.