Thread: ESA and Income Protection

ESA and Income Protection

Hi,

I have suffered for MS for 8 years and went of work in March 2015. When my SSP ran out I was advised to apply for ESA and my Income protection started at the same time. I did not have any issues with the ESA application, no medical and put into a support group.

Today I have opened a letter asking if I'am working. So i phoned them and advised that them I was employed but not working and getting (Income Protection) I also advised that I confirmed all this upfront in the application.

Anyway sorry going on, the problem I have is I get two answers, one person said it will be fine and the second person says my ESA will stop as I get Income Protection. This is very important to me as I won't be able to pay bills if this happens. The income protection is paid monthly via my work (includes tax, NI and pension)

Does anyone know which version is correct?

thanks (ps sorry for bad English)

This is all very complicated and depends on a lot of factors such as:

Did you contribute to the income protection policy yourself at all or was it wholly funded by your employer?
    Is your ESA Contribution based or Income Related?
    Which ESA group are you in - WRAG or Support Group?
    How much the Income Protection insurance is paying you

Because of how complex this can be (depending on the above) you could lose some, all or none of your ESA so the best thing to do in your case is to go and see a qualified benefits adviser such as CAB.

thanks for the reply. I went to CAB and no further forward. No one can answer me in DWP or CAB.

They have no stopped the benefit incase of overpayment she said today.

The policy was funded by my employer
    Income based
    Support group
    They pay my employer who pays me - its works out to be 66% less ESA and I also pay NI and Tax

Quote Originally Posted by fjmu View Post
    thanks for the reply. I went to CAB and no further forward. No one can answer me in DWP or CAB.

They have no stopped the benefit incase of overpayment she said today.

The policy was funded by my employer
    Income based
    Support group
    They pay my employer who pays me - its works out to be 66% less ESA and I also pay NI and Tax
    You've posted on another forum that you are being moved from Income Related ESA to Contribution Based ESA.

Quote Originally Posted by rich-ward View Post
    You've posted on another forum that you are being moved from Income Related ESA to Contribution Based ESA.
    I did that was the update on Sat however they phoned me today to say it's stopped for investigation