Thread: I didn't sign on JSA, then I ended my claim. Can I still claim, two years later?

I didn't sign on JSA, then I ended my claim. Can I still claim, two years later?

Two and a half years ago I was claiming Jobseekers Allowance. I was seriously ill at that time and I failed to sign on. However, at the same time, my partner was making plans to move in with me. So I cancelled JSA.

Shortly, they sent a letter basically saying that I missed signing on, but no action would be taken since I ended my claim anyway. But they did warn me if I wanted to claim JSA in the future, there may be repercussions (I'm paraphrasing this).

My SO has moved out, and I am claiming ESA and in the assessment phase. If I fail the assessment, I will be forced to go on JSA. Is there a possibility that they will penalise me for my missed signing on two years ago? Just how severe will it be? Sanctions? Reduced rate? Does the fact that I was seriously ill during that time help my case?

Is it on the system and will they 'remember' me?

Thank you everyone

As it's been over two years since you ended your claim you are probably OK.

There were/are rules about making a JSA reclaim within 6 months which is probably what they were talking about at the time.
    From a document from 2013 (may not be current advice but would apply in this case).
    If someone makes a repeat claim for Jobseeker’s Allowance within 26 weeks of a previous claim ending, and there have been no significant change to their circumstances since the last claim ended, Jobcentre Plus is able to reuse the majority of the information provided during the initial claim in order to assess their entitlement to benefit.
    So they would be looking at that missed appointment if you had reclaimed within 6 months.

I would have though though that if there was going to be any problem now, 2 years later, then it would have started when you claimed ESA.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.