Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just a rant

Just a rant

Have been sick now nearly 1 year. Getting esa support group and hrm dla. The rant is I need a double hip replacement cost private 18.000 can't afford that. But over the year I was on benefits I have received nearly £20.000 in benefits ( wife and 2 kids ) still no hope for the operation to be done on the nhs. Have worked all my life I am 50 now. What a waste of money from the government. With working for the last 32 years 12 of them self employed. The last year has really been a eye opener for me with the benefit system. Having to live on the cash you get paid every two weeks nothing to do every day plus living with pain and mobility issues. When a operation can get me back to work and save money. It's a never ending circle. Have tried for a loan to go private but because don't work have been turned down. Rant over for now

I can understand your frustration. If you want to speed things up by going privately but only want to pay a third of what it costs here - go to India.

Their private hospitals and surgeons match ours but no waiting time!

Check this out . . . http://www.tour2india4health.com/hip...-benefits.html

That's a very good thought don't think it would be practical for me. I have young kids and I don't think I could travel that far. If my kids could look after themselves my wife and me could make the trip. Was hopeful of getting one done at a time. So I would have some mobility

Is the problem with NHS waiting times, or is there some other problem?

If it's waiting times then it may be possible, in fact its your right, to choose another hospital.
    http://www.nhs.uk/choiceintheNHS/You...ahospital.aspx

You can use this tool to check on different waiting times for hospitals in your area.
    http://www.nhs.uk/Service-Search/Hos...h/7/Procedures

The waiting times can be vastly different, even between NHS hospitals in the same area.
    Some even get as short as the private places.
    Last edited by nukecad; 02-29-2016 at 03:42 PM.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thanks for your reply guys. I live in Northern Ireland and we only have 1 orthopaedic hospital and are waiting times our not very good 59 weeks for first appointment. Which I have had then a other waiting list after that for operation been waiting for 2 since July. Phoned the hospital and they said April at the earliest. The health service in Northern Ireland is falling down and no one cares. But the government complain about people in Northern Ireland on dla (12% of population) is it any wonder fix the nhs that will bring down the benefit costs and that probably goes for the whole of the U.K.

Ah, Northern Ireland.

I sympathise, we think we are badly treated in Northern England compared to the South - but I am aware that it's not as bad here as in NI.

My personal view is that it is probably due to Stormont not ratifying the Welfare Reform Act.
    Not an excuse, but the UK govt. doesn't like people telling them that they are wrong and standing up to them.
    Of course they will deny that any shortfalls are retiliatory action, take your own view.

Unfortunately that doesn't help in your situation.

Once again I can only sympathise.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

I live in the south and need both knees replaced the NHS said I was too young at 45. I am now 49 and have been told I will have to wait until I am 65?
    I am now being assessed for a stair lift and downstairs toilet if granted it will cost thousands if the NHS gave me new knees I would not need the adaptions it is ridiculous.
    Last edited by gus; 03-03-2016 at 07:41 AM.

It's just a waste of money and resources gus when all we need is a operation to get us of benefits and working again.who knows how long it will take for the government to realise this. But the way the benefit system is working we probably will loose all our help with are disability and make us crawl (high on prescription drugs) back to work or just die trying

In England and Wales, there is also an option to have your operation done in a private hospital at NHS expense - they sell the service to the NHS at agreed rates that match the cost in NHS hospitals, to reduce waiting lists. I don't know if this is available in NI, but your GP or Consultant can tell you more - or phone your nearest private hospital and ask them. Often, it is done by the same consultant.

Thanks keithl will ask my gp about that. But I think it is are waiting lists which are the problem there is thousands of people in the same boat as me it's just priority of the cases people with knee and hip replacement