Thread: Moving from ESA into part time work

Moving from ESA into part time work

Hi all, currently on ESA have been since 2012, I have been offered a job of 16 hours per week, min wage, can someone tell me please of the process I have to go through to change over, I really do NOT want to sign off ESA with my current advisor she is honestly the most patronising evil person ive ever met and smug as well. Can I call someone in the ESA department and do it over the phone? Also am I entitled to working tax credits? Being as this is a part time minimum wage job and I also have two children age 5 and 16? I'm a bit nervous making this change as I know all my housing benefit will stop and council tax benefit will stop too. i just don't know what to expect and feeling very nervous about it all. Many thanks
    Last edited by Vick; 13-03-16 at 12:15.

I have just looked into this. My chance fell through BUT you are allowed to work 16 hrs WITHOUT affecting your ESA. SEE https://www.gov.uk/employment-suppor...ce/eligibility
    if you scroll down the page and read "claiming ESA if you work", you'll see you can work up to 16 hrs a week, its called "permitted work".

You do have to notify the DWP tho.

Thankyou for your info on this, I was actually looking to coming off ESA altogether and hoping to go on to claim working tax credits as low wage income. I am so sick being called in for interviews and bein treated like I'm scum of the earth, I suffer with depression and anxiety and it don't help being called in for these interviews. Thanks again

First of all you can telephone and tell them that you are going to start a part time job of 16 hrs. I would then follow up with a letter (keep a copy and receipt of posting).

Just a couple of other points to consider.

Is your doctor happy for you to go back to work? If you start work and find that you cannot manage then, if it is within 12 weeks, you can go back on ESA at the same rate as before (linking rules)

Did you know that you can do Permitted work whilst on ESA. You can only do up to 15 hrs at NMW but you would still receive all your benefits. Is this a possibility for you? (Would the employer be will to allow you to do 15 hrs to start with?) You need to get permission for this - speak to your horrible job coach! This might give you time to 'transfer' onto the 16 hrs later rather than do it straight away.

If you are happy to do the 16 hrs then as a single mum you only have to do 16 hrs to be eligible for working tax credits. Telephone tax credits if you accept the job. Also ask them to give you an idea of your award.

You can also claim HB and CT reduction based on a low income. You would need to inform the council that you have started a part time job as when your ESA ends your HB and CT is ended too.

I hope you will be better off financially when starting work but it might depend on whether you are receiving DLA/PIP and have been receiving disability premiums. If you do receive DLA/PIP then let tax credits know as you might be eligible for a disability premium.

If you come off ESA and have been on income based for 26 weeks you should get a 'run on' of HB of 4 weeks.

Good luck!

Well done Vick! I'm sure you can also pump your wages up through Working Tax Credits. https://www.gov.uk/working-tax-credit/overview

You can only do your best.

Thankyou, just keeping my fingers crossed I don't have to go and see that thing in the job centre and can do it all by phone.