Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What about insurance for those who lose their motability cars?

Fish car insurance are specifically aiming get ex-motaebility drivers.

I was offered 11 years No Claims Bonus and they offered extra discount when I told them that my building insurer would undercut any quote by 10%. My advice - haggle! And pay the extra to cover your existing NCB.

Just renewed my Fish policy,

Cost £435 last year
    They wanted £490 odd renewal

I managed to get a comprehensive quote for £401 using a Comparison Site, I then got back to Fish who then offered me insurance for £395

Quote Originally Posted by shambolic View Post
    I have been looking into the possibility of buying a car, should I lose my Motability car in the latest government sweep. The big sticking point I see is the insurance. As a fifty year old man who would be a new driver I would be looking at around £3000 according to the age concern insurance quotes! That's a killer for me. I just couldn't pay that year after year. Are there any ways to get these amounts down?
    This is the reality of what its like for those people just passing their tests. often young and on a very low income. The insurance alone is more than your motability payments(£57.45 pw x 52 =£2987.40). And thats before you consider all the other costs. I thought it was bad paying nearly £1000 a year on insurance when i first started driving. If i was a new driver now, id be priced out of driving.

Fortunetly my insurance premiums have came down considerably due to no claims and if successful in my pip claim, ill be looking to start driving again. Motability wont be an option as my points are likely to be scored in daily living, rather than mobility.

Im under the impression some insurers will acknowledge a no claim history from motability but you have to know the right insurers.

If finances allow, look at a new car personal contract plan with inclusive insurance - the monthly lease payments may be less than the insurance premium if you have no NCB.

Quote Originally Posted by carl30 View Post
    This is the reality of what its like for those people just passing their tests. often young and on a very low income. The insurance alone is more than your motability payments(£57.45 pw x 52 =£2987.40). And thats before you consider all the other costs. I thought it was bad paying nearly £1000 a year on insurance when i first started driving. If i was a new driver now, id be priced out of driving.

Fortunetly my insurance premiums have came down considerably due to no claims and if successful in my pip claim, ill be looking to start driving again. Motability wont be an option as my points are likely to be scored in daily living, rather than mobility.

Im under the impression some insurers will acknowledge a no claim history from motability but you have to know the right insurers.
    Your spot on there as my Grandson passed his test this month and getting his car insurance has been a nightmare with quotes around the £3,000 mark so he thought he would get the insurance on the drip but because he is 17 he can’t have credit.

In the end, and this is something worth considering for us old disabled folk and that is having a black box fitted to the car and in my Grandsons case brought the insurance down to £1,600 and he has a app on his phone that tells him how he’s been driving and better still it gives him a rebate on his insurance and in less than 3 weeks he has accrued £40 that will be returned to him out of his original £1,600 and if he keeps his nose clean till the 12 months insurance premium is up and he can get as much as £300 rebate and of course a NCB history but that still makes it a staggering £1,300 for a car worth £700.

PS

I thought it was bad when they wanted £25 for Third Party Only in 73.

Quote Originally Posted by keithl View Post
    If finances allow, look at a new car personal contract plan with inclusive insurance - the monthly lease payments may be less than the insurance premium if you have no NCB.
    With regard to my previous post above we looked into the domestic lease hire and there are indeed some good deals going down this road with prices from around £165 a month all inclusive except services but with most cars these days they only require a second year service over a 3 years deal if you travel less than 10,000 miles a year.

The site we looked at is for newly past test young drivers but I would assume there must be something similar for disabled people somewhere.
    http://www.wearemarmalade.co.uk/cars...FbEW0woduMgNig

Fine deals available, always read smaller print.