Thread: Looking for wheelchair and hoist user friendly hotels with baths and double beds

Looking for wheelchair and hoist user friendly hotels with baths and double beds

Basically me and my fiancée want to be able to have a bath together and sleep in the same bed.it seems every hotel that has a double bed has a walk in shower as most hotels do which is unfair as even with scoliosis I know a soak in a bath helps with pain.my fiancée uses a hoist however were happy to hire one ,just then the hotel needs ramp access,a lift,wide enough doors to fit hoist in and most importantly gaps under the bed and bath and any bath I've seen is just direct to the floor.all it needs is a small gap for the feet/legs if the hoist to slide under as a hoist that can go flat against stuff and then the arm spin on itself is not the safest so she would prefer a solid hoist that slides under.however after a year of looking we have found nothing.why is it so hard to try and be like a normal couple for a day or 2.
    Please note it preferably has to be a bath not a hottub or sauna as then it means hoisting from there to a shower for a wash rather than being in a bath to start with.

Hi Ryan,

You and Emma seem to have some specific needs that most large hotels may not be setup to cater for everyday.
    You may find that smaller hotels or even B&B's may give a more adaptable service.

Even with the big chains if you ask in advance, preferably in writing to give the management time to consider your requests, and also make some suggestions on how they can help you, then you may well find they are very willing to make adjustments to help.

In particular the hoist seems to be your main problem.

Divan beds will obviously be no good and most large chains will have these, smaller places may well have beds with traditional legs which will allow the hoist to fit underneath.

As you note most baths are panneled in down to the floor; but this is usually only a plastic panel fitted for cosmetic reasons.
    The bath itself will still be on 'legs' or on a raised frame behind the panel.
    If you explain your needs, and that you are not particularly bothered about the look but more about the access, then the panel can be easily removed and replaced later.
    Again smaller hotels are often more understanding.

Hotels are setup to suit the majority of their customers and if you need something a bit different you have to ask in advance, and it always helps if you can suggest adjustments that they can easily make to help you.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanforemma View Post
    Basically me and my fiancée want to be able to have a bath together and sleep in the same bed.

l needs ramp access,a lift,wide enough doors to fit hoist in and most importantly gaps under the bed and bath
    From what I've learnt a Holiday Inn is your best bet.

Certain Inns in this chain have raised beds to roll hoists under but also overhead hoists too. The doors are wide enough for electric wheelchairs too.

The bathrooms have a w4heel-in shower area with a bath to one side. There is a ceiling hoist in here too so no need for a roll under hoist.

Two single beds can be joined to form a double bed.

Your best bet is to phone the hotel chain and do some research.

This is the only chain to my understanding that will include an adjoining room for6 a PA free of charge on request.

LT has posted a video on another thread....poss under travel? Showing a Holiday Inn. That would certainly fit the double bed solution. For the record, I have stayed in accessible double rooms in Ramada, Premier Inn, travel Lodge. Hilton and they were ALL excellent.
    The double bath would be a bigger ask!!
    Without being rude! it depends how big you both are! We found a lovely one in Brighton - but the hotel itself is NOT accessible - no hoist etc, and my b/friend is slim.
    You MAY have to do some phoning around....goodluck and if you find one - let us know!!

PS: you need to look for a spa bath (you can deffo fit two in those) she said with a wink!
    Last edited by reddivine; 04-06-2016 at 08:08 AM.

This just popped in my inbox and seems just the guy to go for answers!
    https://www.revolutionarypublishing.com/
    Its Martin in the vid posted by Lighttouch and disabiliity horizons has LOTS of his videos and blog from travelling around. If anyone can source what you want, I bet he can!!

We have used The Best Western Monk Bar Hotel in York with daughter.
    They have an annex which has a double bed, large bathroom with roll in shower AND a bath.
    Sea Queen

Also try https://www.accomable.com/about
    theres a chat box that pops up automatically so you could post your question there

Quote Originally Posted by reddivine View Post
    LT has posted a video on another thread....poss under travel? Showing a Holiday Inn. That would certainly fit the double guest bed solution. For the record, I have stayed in accessible double rooms in Ramada, Premier Inn, travel Lodge. Hilton and they were ALL excellent.
    The double bath would be a bigger ask!!
    Without being rude! it depends how big you both are! We found a lovely one in Brighton - but the hotel itself is NOT accessible - no hoist etc, and my b/friend is slim.
    You MAY have to do some phoning around....goodluck and if you find one - let us know!!

PS: you need to look for a spa bath (you can deffo fit two in those) she said with a wink!
    Its hard to desribe in words what a bedding area looks like. Along your river valley is there a "bench" that has lots of old growth and standing pines? That would be my first guess.

I stayed in a Holiday Inn and the space was great, the accessible shower room was very large, and I think they had a lot of good set up. This was in Leicester though, I don't know where it is you want to be in the country/world.

Every Travelodge with Disabled Rooms that I have stayed in the Bathroom has a BATH. Mind you I have only stayed in Travelodge Hotels in Scotland.
    Deep into that darkness peering, long I stood there, wondering, fearing, doubting, dreaming dreams no mortal ever dared to dream before.
    Edgar Allen Poe