Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Benefits of a lodger

Quote Originally Posted by reddivine View Post
    Everyone has a story, but if you're going to share your home, do get proof of that story. i'm sure you do, having done it a couple times now. Don't you chase up references from past landlord, character reference? When my son house shared for a year, he had to supply all that and prove he could pay rent and sign a contract. You leave yourself open to abuse if you don't.
    Everyone has a reason for wanting to lodge. Some people try to sweet talk you into taking a deposit as they don't have the money. Some people falsify documents. Some people have glowing references from their mates - they aren't worth the paper they are written on.

Some make out they are working for - let's say a bank' but in fact work for a placement company so if off ill don't get sick pay - I know all the tricks.

In the end unless I get two sound references, a month's deposit and a month's rent in advance - it won't go any further. If people want the room but can't take it for three weeks I can't guarantee it will still be there unless they leave a non-refundable deposit.

I don't ask for the rent as I expect it to be paid on the day agreed by BACS or it triggers a months notice subject to a little chat.

Some people who lodge have no idea of their rights so I give them an 'excluded occupiers agreement' that spells out their rights and mine in very clear detail.

Because it's my own home, mortgage paid off, I can decide whether to rent one or two rooms off. Depends on how you get on with the other person. I'm pretty easy going and encourage people to tell me about issues that need sorting out e.g. blocked drain, radiators need bleeding, showered curtain needs washing etc.

The secret is open communication in person.

One of my unique USPs is that I'm a profit sharing landlord. Lodger's don't know until they want to hand a month's notice in that they get 10%of their paid rent back in a cash lump sum - it's just a great way to end on a high and a great way to help them save! Nobody says they don't want it!!

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    Her Majesty's Stationary Office?

I believe you were meaning a HMO (House in Multiple Occupation).

You need to be careful with that.

The general rule is that 3 or more occupiers who form 2 or more unrelated 'households' constitute a HMO.

However as an owner/occupier 'live in' landlord you are allowed 2 unrelated lodgers without it becoming a HMO.
    (You need to be the owner/occupier for that to apply, if you rent the property yourself then having 2 lodgers will make it a HMO, even if the lodgers are related).

http://www.lodgerlandlord.co.uk/2010...y-into-an-hmo/

If you do become a HMO then you would have to comply with HMO regs, even if you don't need a licence.
    Whether you would need a licence for a 'small' HMO depends on your council, some have selective licensing some don't.
    (I believe that you are in Trafford who only have mandatory licensing, so you wouldn't: https://www.trafford.gov.uk/resident...licensing.aspx )
    As a live-in landlord I follow the rent-a-room procedure. I own my place and can earn up to £7250 a year tax free. If people want the small room I might rent it out for a few months as it seems to fill a need as a 'stop-gap' room. I'll really happy if I get one good lodger at a time.

I don't need a licence or a deposit scheme. They don't even get a rent book when paid monthly.

The lady who came tonight is a Head of HR at a Liverpool University. She has a car share arrangement with someone local who drives in the same directions - a hell of a daily commute!!

She will let me know by Sunday if she's interested. I'm in two minds whether she was just curious to meet this openly disabled man with rooms to rent. I actively try to put people off from a viewing by telling them I'm disabled that way it's not a shock to the people who do visit you for a viewing.

The other downside to taking two adults in is that I lose my single status Council Tax Rebate. With only one adult lodger they are disregarded due to me being disabled.

Could always let the 2nd room on Airbnb!

I could have filled both rooms by now but maybe I'm getting fussy!

Airbnb sounds a good idea but it's not tax free.

I'm suspending the advert for now and maybe modify or enhance the rooms a bit before I advertise again.

There's been lots of twists and turns about the timing of moving on. I know that it all sounds very formal but prevention is better than cure if you see what I mean!