Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Benefits of a lodger

Glad to hear its working well, suspect its your own bubbly personality that makes it work so well x

Lodgers can only be classed as disregarded for community charge if ...

aged 17 or under

a prisoner or someone in detention awaiting deportation or under mental health legislation

'severely mentally impaired'

full-time students on a qualifying course of education (including correspondence or on-line courses); student nurses; Foreign Language Assistants on the official British Council programme. If the property is occupied only by students then it is exempt from council tax altogether

a spouse, civil partner or a dependant of a student who is a non- British Citizen and who, under immigration rules, is not allowed either to work in the UK or claim benefit

a young person on a government training scheme or following some kinds of apprenticeship

a long-term hospital patient or care home resident

living in a hostel which provides care or treatment because of your old age, physical or mental disability, past or present alcohol or drug dependence or past or present mental illness

living in a bail or probation hostel

a live-in care worker staying in a hostel or night shelter, for example, in a Salvation Army or Church Army hostel

a school or college leaver aged under 20 and you have left school or college after 30 April. You will be disregarded until 1 November of the same year whether or not you take up employment

aged 18 and someone is entitled to Child Benefit for you

a member of a religious community

a member of a visiting armed force. Your dependants are also disregarded.

If everyone who lives in the property is disregarded, there will still be a council tax bill, but there will be a 50 per cent discount.
    Last edited by Fujifilm; 10-04-2016 at 10:21 PM.

The fact that I am disabled, on middle rate care, not in a relationship with her. And she's available to offer supervision for 16 hours a week just by being here means she Qualifies.

If a second lodger stayed Mon-Fri they would be disregarded tioo

I wasn't saying you were wrong, just did not want others to not know the rules.

thanks for the information !

Something else I've discovered about her - she loves to cook and entertain.

We had a friend of hers pop over for an evening meal and I was invited too. She dimmed the lights, lit candles and served a tastebud tingling home madde spaghetti balonaise with home made garlic bread followed by homemade apple crumble served with greek yoghurt - delicious!

She's a real homemaker!

Well, I've just received my first month's rent via a Standing Order bang on time - she's so organised.

I like the way she feels so at home. As a proper cook she's rearranged the kitchen so all her spices are at hand. She hops from one foot to the other shakin' a bit of this and that' into the bubbling pan which always smells wonderful. Every other night we dine together in subdued lighting with candles lit on the table and a glass of wine to wash down another delicious meal.

She's put up new curtains in the lounge, new fancy willow and berry dried arrangement in her own vase, feature large picture, cleaned the bathroom so the tiles positive sparkle.

She has to be the ideal lodger - such a bubbly person!

It's so funny as my lodger brought some curtains with her which I allowed her to hang in the dining area and lounge - but I've a 3rd window that still has the old curtain on it.

She's now bought some curtains from a charity shop that will cover all three windows - she'll just machine sew them to fit. Talk about making yourself at home. lol

Well my female lodger has been with me for a year today. I bought a £10 meal deal for two. Candles, wine, dimmed lights and music on the radio. Two days ago someone ripped off her car win=g mirrors which have been reattached with 'gaffe tape'.

She's lovely. thoughtful. non-discriinatal. funny, practical. hard working. fit, attractive. feminine. need I go on.

We just get on= and she help;s me out without a fuss. The ideal companion who pays me to stay here!

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post
    Well my female lodger has been with me for a year today. I bought a £10 meal deal for two. Candles, wine, dimmed lights and music on the radio. Two days ago someone ripped off her car win=g mirrors which have been reattached with 'gaffe tape'.

She's lovely. thoughtful. non-discriinatal. funny, practical. hard working. fit, attractive. feminine. need I go on.

We just get on= and she help;s me out without a fuss. The ideal companion who pays me to stay here!
    Hmmmm... I think I can hear your heart fluttering Light