Thread: Recently moved onto ESA and now a P60U is delivered

Question Recently moved onto ESA and now a P60U is delivered

As I'm severely disabled for life (muscular dystrophy), I've been on Income Support/Severe Disability Allowance for decades till recently. At the end of last year I was forced to move over to ESA. My application was accepted in around February this year and I was placed under Support Group with Enhanced Disability Premium.

Today I received a P60U. To be honest, I am shocked. I was totally unaware that disabled people are going to be taxed/are being taxed on disability benefit.

Sorry to sound a bit clueless but could someone knowledgeable explain what this P60U all means AND am I being told to pay tax?

Please see attachment. Thanks in advance.

No this is just standard tax notice for anyone on mainstream benefits.
    Everyone will be getting them about now, I got my P60U yesterday.
    You get one every year, just like you get a P60 if you are working.

Contribution Based benefits are taxable, but on their own without another income from somewhere they are not going to reach your personal limit so you don't pay any tax on them.
    Income Related benefits are not taxable but you get a P60U each year anyway.

Yours as attached says that since your last tax notice you have had £400.50 in benefits and £234.21 earnings (from a previous employment? maybe a previous benefit?).
    Your tax code is 1060L giving you a personal limit of £10,600 a year before you have to pay any tax, so you are nowhere near this.
    Last edited by nukecad; 19-05-16 at 15:40.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thank you for helping me understand the P60U.

I am currently in the middle of applying for PIP as the DWP said they will end my DLA.

Will the PIP be seen as another source of income and be taxed?

Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by nukecad View Post
    No this is just standard tax notice for anyone on mainstream benefits.
    Everyone will be getting them about now, I got my P60U yesterday.
    You get one every year, just like you get a P60 if you are working.

Contribution Based benefits are taxable, but on their own without another income from somewhere they are not going to reach your personal limit so you don't pay any tax on them.
    Income Related benefits are not taxable but you get a P60U each year anyway.

Yours as attached says that since your last tax notice you have had £400.50 in benefits and £234.21 earnings (from a previous employment? maybe a previous benefit?).
    Your tax code is 1060L giving you a personal limit of £10,600 a year before you have to pay any tax, so you are nowhere near this.

PIP is not taxable income so don't worry on that score. It's also disregarded as income for most other benefits too