Thread: work focused interviews and the disabled

Lightbulb work focused interviews and the disabled

Are we protected by this act ?...
    If a person is disabled and finds it difficult to walk or stand, and you are asked to physically attend a work focused interview, under the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 part 3 section 19. it mentions that if a disabled person cannot access a service, building, or facility then the provider of the service must make alternative arrangements . So surely under this act, the jobcentre or W.F.I assessor is breaking the law by not providing alternative arrangements i.e home visits or telephone interviews. I have only briefly outlined the details of the law, as it is quite long, but you can find the article online yourselves at the government website, you may have to refer to other sections of the act to understand the law in full !
    So wh?t is the situation? can we use this law to provide a safer option for disabled people, who (many times) have been forced to physically attend work focused interviews and similar, which has put them at risk ?

Although this link is 3 years old I believe the facts and legislation still stand.

Basically you need to make them aware of your disability needs and if they cannot make reasonable adjustments then they must find 'another way'.

https://benefitsandwork.co.uk/forum?...id=10&id=96483

We actually experienced a problem with accessibility this week when my husband had his f2f for PIP. There were a couple of steps to get from the waiting area to the consulting rooms, no ramps, handrails or grab rails and we couldn't believe that they were allowed to use these premises without simple adaptions for assessing disabled people. I intend to complain to ATOS and the DWP about this, and make the MP aware, as we didn't feel safe using the steps due to a lack of a rail and us both having mobility problems, and I'm sure this must apply to a huge amount of the people who have to go to that centre for their assessment, not to mention the concern that assessors could use it against you that they've observed you using steps. If my husband had refused to co-operate on the grounds of not feeling safe on the steps, I'm sure they would have been quick to stop his PIP and accuse him of non-compliance, so people are forced into doing something which makes them feel uncomfortable and unsafe, which is completely unacceptable in my eyes!