Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: possible back injury?

Yes,I went,but no x ray
    Was told to wet a t towel and wring it out and pop in freezer,than place,well,you can guess where!
    Also to take my naproxen regularly and not to expect improvement for a couple of months
    She also said that like seaqueen,I may get recurring problems even ten,eleven years on,but not as bad as now

Have to say deebee the physio exercises I was given also helped me a lot.

My problems are still there but as you were told not as bad and I can live with it. x
    Sea Queen

A true tale deebee - and I do hope you went to A&E. In 2013, i complained of back pain and eventually they sent me for X rays. Turned out I fractured my back in 2008 - (nobody thought to mention it!!!) Although then I was fitting quite badly and so a bad fall was quite probable - I can't remember tho having been unconscious!
    Since then i get frequent back pain and Tues ended up in A& E where I was X rayed again.
    Sooooo the lesson being after ANY fall, where you land on your back, its not an over reaction to go to A&E. It can be serious.

Just an update
    Have been to A&E twice now and was not x rayed either time
    The second time I was given a rectal exam and the Dr did wonder if I needed a scan,she said that I had three options,
    1,be admitted and wait possibly three days for a scan
    2,be transferred to another hospital for a same day scan
    3,go home
    She spoke to a neurosurgeon at another hospital for advice and he said to just send me home
    I had really wanted an x ray,but hadn't wanted to stay in
    Anyway,a few days later,I rang my gp,and asked if I could have an x ray and she printed off a sheet of paper and I just have to go to x ray and hand it in and wait
    I plan to go this afternoon

Hope xray gives you some answers deebee though there's usually 7-10day wait for results to go to gp. When i have falls and think it's caused a prob i always go to gp and get form for xray no point with a&e when you have exsisting probs in my opinion they either link it to those or say oh go see your gp or your consultant. Take care hope you improve soon

At least the xray will identify any problems which examinations can't.
    My back has been playing up terrible for the last 3 weeks now - all due to the fall a few years ago.
    Sea Queen

Thanks freedom eagle
    Yes 7-10 days
    Hope you get some relief soon seaqueen

Bit of a update. I recently broke down (wheelchair) at the side of the road. Got out to see what problem was, bent approx 45 degrees and aaaargh the back just "seized". Couldn;t move at all. Not even few yards. Ended up calling my son. He called ambulance, who cant take the wheelchair so he gets that home. I'm in A&E for 4 hours. "where does it hurt?" "well i can't actually get my arm back there"
    Insisted on giving me gas and air which did NOT relax the back - but did relax the bladder....
    Took about a week to fix itself. All this from the old, healed fracture.
    And i agree physio exercise are invaluable and swimming helps.

Crikey,hope you are feeling better now redevine,
    I am definitely going to ask for some physio
    I have had it twice in the past,once for thoracic outlet syndrome,which didn't really help at all,and the second time for a knee injury,which did help a lot.
    Swimming I am not so good with these days as I suffer post exhertional fatigue,also swimming brings my Rosacea out,and last time I went I had a bad chest infection and lupus flare that lasted weeks,so I am put off going

Went back to acupuncture which I tried last year when in pain wiht carpal tunnel in the arm. He's very good and explains what he's doing.
    Give that a go, it may help