Thread: Are there any benefits to contributions based ESA

Are there any benefits to contributions based ESA

It seems income related ESA has all the benefits such as free prescriptions and if in the you are placed in the support group you get an extra £15.25, plus other benefits. Are there any advantages for those who get contributions based ESA?

I wasn't aware that claimants on ESA Income based were automatically placed in the support group. I thought you were placed in the support group if you matched the descriptors and nothing at all to do with income based/contributions based.

I suppose the advantages? of being on contributions based ESA are that you do not have to claim JSA and sign on.

I think the OP meant that if you were placed in the support group and on income based ESA then you get the enhanced disability premium of £15.25 a week.

The main advantage of being on contribution based ESA is that it is not means tested so you could have thousands of pounds in savings and income from a partner and still be entitled to contribution based ESA. The only thing that affects it are private pensions.

And don't forget what may/will become a major issue in the coming years:

Income Related ESA, both WRAG and SG, will eventualy be replaced by Universal Credit, and those already on IR ESA will be transfered at some point.
    (Not happening for a few years yet but it will happen eventually).

Contribution Based ESA , both WRAG and SG, will stay outside of Universal Credit.
    (Although CB WRAG will still only last for 52 weeks, at which time it will then be converted to UC).
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

I don't think the poster actually meant you are placed in tge support group with contributions based esa?

I am on contribution based esa. It basically means when in wrag you only get payment for 365 days and then you revert to national insurace credits only if you have a partner/spouse that works. Very unfair as we pay taxes and ni as individuals. It means your partner is supposed to suport you if you are still too ill to work after 365 days and pay all the bills for the both and their prescriptions, dentist, glasses etc. Also to ever get a payment again from esa (unless you are in support group that is) you would have to work for at least another two years paying national insurance and with no breaks then you entitled to be ill again i wrag. .

On income based esa (those that have not got enough contributions to claim contribution based or have never worked or saved money) get lots of benefits beside esa. You get free prescriptions, dentist etc and you can reclaim and get in wrag and still get money after 365 days.

I had no idea of these rules and my esa just came to a halt after one year. We got into lots of debt because my husband was supposed to pay all the bills and support me too. He just could not afford it. He got ill from stress doing so.

These rules stink in my eyes. Why are we taxed as individuals but treated as a couple when claiming sickness benefit. I am in the support group now but waiting for my assessment when my esa will no doubt stop again if put in wrag. More stress, losing our home and not being able to afford to look after our health but that's the thanks you get for working and trying to pay your way.

So the answer is no help if you have a partner working 24 hours a week if you are in WRAG Contribution based. 24 hours at minImum wage is not a lot to support two people. You become a child/dependant of your partner really. In the support group you are ok but very difficult to get in and staying in is harder. To me if you are ill that is it, you are able to be paid sickness benefit regardless. We all need money for bills, food, clothes health etc. If you in wrag and able to convert to income based after 365 days you are ok.

Also technically you are still unfit for work even if your 365 days are up where you get payment for being sick so no employer would take you on really as you are too ill to work. I tried to go back to work when a fit note said I was unfit after surgery and the employer refused me back. Unfit for work, not Ill enough for benefit. Not enough money ftom my husband to cloth, feed, pay my health costs (dentist bills are huge due to my bruxism), and pay our bills and debts. So very unfair to the working household.

Working hardly pays this way does it.
    I read on here about someone in about moving in with partner and then saying they would be better off living apart. Surely this costs the government more money with housing, council taxes etc.
    In fact I bet it splits loads of families up. Is this the aim? Wasn't that what is said about the devil?
    Last edited by KAREN SV; 24-06-16 at 08:59.

I read

It seems income related ESA has all the benefits such as free prescriptions and if in the you are placed in the support group you get an extra £15.25

as

It seems income related ESA has all the benefits such as free prescriptions and if in then you are placed in the support group you get an extra £15.25

My reply was on that missing letter only, I assumed (possibly wrongly) that the OP meant that if you are on Income based you automatically get placed in the Support Group.

I too am in receipt of CB ESA.

You can reclaim after 12 week break from ESA CB I have done this twice