Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mental Health and PIP?

Mental Health and PIP?

Hello.
    I am in need of some advice please.
    I have been claiming ESA (Support Group) for the last 18 months or so.
    A neighbour recently told me that she won her appeal for DLA. I guess this is the old name for PIP.
    Anyway, she is a chronic substance abuser, but also has mental health issues.
    This got me to thinking about my 'issues'
    My psychiatrist recently diagnosed me with social anxiety and PTSD. These are new issues on top of my 10+ years of depression, anxiety and panic attacks.

I live alone. Just me and my beloved dog. I don't feel safe outside my home.
    When I say I don't feel safe, i don't mean physically. I am so scared of any kind of interactions with people. Even family members, and this is very hard to accept. My family have helped me both emotionally and financially over the last couple of years. I don't want to keep bothering them with my issues. I have joined a couple of support sites online and even used the C.A.L.L Helpline.

Anyway, I was just wondering about PIP. I thought it was based on physical abilities, but looking around the internet I have found a few posts where people are awarded it based on mental health issues.

Can anyone help me out with this?
    What should I do?
    What are the steps?

Thank you so much for any help

*SpaceDust*

PIP is all about how you cope with you daily life and how you can get about.
    There is a 'Daily Living' component and a 'Mobility' component.

You can be awarded PIP for physical problems, or mental problems, or a combination of the 2.

For instance one of the things assessed is interaction with others, which you say you have a problem with.

As a quick start you could try the self-assessment test here:
    https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/pe.../pip-self-test
    But remember that only gives a general idea, everyones circumstances are different.

I'm sure some of those already claiming PIP will be along soon.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

I recieve pip soley for mental health conditions. Although my mental hewlth problems have been detrimental to my physical health so I did recieve high points under the care section. I also recieve standard mobility as I suffer similar problems with social phobia, although my main condition is mixed bipolar. I think pip is more inclusive of mental health illnesses than dla ever was. On the flip side the application process for pip seems a lot more difficult than dla.
    If you apply I think it's important to get advice and assistance from an agency like welfare rights or cab.

Thanks for the info.. I will definitely be looking at that.
    This may sound weird, but my brother is my carer. Not in an official capacity but he looks out for me with everything.
    He advises me not to apply for PIP. He says not to be greedy, and it may put my ESA in peril.
    Is that a possibility? If I apply and am denied can this affect my ESA does anyone know?

Thanks again for your time

esa/pip are two different benefits you can receive both at the same time, why not go and see citizen advice ,or welfare right to help you with the process regards

Thank you. I will check with CAB.

It's not being greedy. Always claim everything you can whilst you can claim it, as you never know what is round the corner.

I'm claiming for borderline personality disorder as it affects my daily life considerably. It's not the condition they're interested in, it's how it affects you as an individual. You could claim for a fear of spiders if you could legitimately prove it affects you with regards to the questions.

Thank you so much.
    I'm glad to know that it is not solely based on the physical. I am quite able bodied and that is what has put me off for so long.
    I'm going to make an appointment to see citizens advice.
    I will let you know how it goes.
    Thanks again

SpaceDust

Quote Originally Posted by NexivRed View Post
    It's not being greedy. Always claim everything you can whilst you can claim it, as you never know what is round the corner.

I'm claiming for borderline personality disorder as it affects my daily life considerably. It's not the condition they're interested in, it's how it affects you as an individual. You could claim for a fear of spiders if you could legitimately prove it affects you with regards to the questions.
    Could I enquire as to what you were awarded? My wife suffers from BPD also and is yet to be transferred from DLA

Quote Originally Posted by RobcarerT View Post
    Could I enquire as to what you were awarded? My wife suffers from BPD also and is yet to be transferred from DLA
    My claim is still being processed but I'll let you know. Sorry to hear of another battling the condition. It's a proper bugger of one that's for sure xx