Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Could tablet computers replace PCs?

Could tablet computers replace PCs?

I don't have a tablet but I do use an Apple Imac and smartphone.

Are the days of the PC numbered?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17284622

Quote Originally Posted by Lighttouch View Post

I think eventually, yes. PC's will still be used for business but the tablet is better for home use as it is more portable, so I think the tablet will takeover. In 10 years time something else will take over from the tablet!

I am not sure I could use a touch screen, or a tiny keyboard. I think the PC as we know it is going the way of the video, but I hope not.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Its difficult to say. Many people now use a PC as an intranet server to hold all their films, music etc and stream around their house to various items.
    This I think is the way for the PC. Cloud computing makes people feel uncomfortable, with all your data held offsite and not accessible. Say anonymous shredeed the could server, everything is lost whereas if its on a backup hard driver etc at home, then all is not lost.

Tablets have their uses, same way as laptops do, but word, excel and access databases and building websites on such a small screen with quite a bit of lag make them as of yet unworkable in that way.

I have all three (Desktop PC, laptop and Tablet) all have their uses in different ways, tablets at the moment are great for quick facebooking, playing videos, and music, reading Ebooks etc but not really yet for gaming or word/math processing.

But who knows what will happen in the future?

You've brought up a good point Warkman - Cloud computing changes everything. You may already use Cloud computing without knowing it! If you have an email account with Hotmail, Yahoo Mail or Gmail.

Granted large computer screens will always be needed for designers, film makers and creative industries but I think more people will use computers where the software isn't loaded onto the computer and files, photos etc are stored on your ISP database. I'm sure Virginmedia already have this facility.

What's the point of having a static, stand alone PC stuck on a dedicated desk. We have wireless, internet, printers, cameras, VCRs. Virginmedia are doubling the broadband speeds of existing customers - I'll be on 60mb by August for no extra charge.

Technology moves so quickly and is getting cheaper and more accessible with touch screens, voice activating 'inteligent thinking' software like Apple's 'Sirus'

I think this spells the' death nell' for PCs as we know them - I reckon they'll start phasing them out by 2014 or earlier. They'll go the same way as the floppy drive. Well that's my view - what's yours?

Well as we speak Apple have released a new Ipad
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17292424
    Awesome!

You must be joking right ?

Anyone that uses Apple is totally brainwashed and stuck up thinking it's the best " Ooohh us Mac users are the best blah blah blah"

In my opinion no. PC will always be around and yeah I WOULD love to learn to use a mac one day it's so I can use both mac and PC. But I still prefer PC!
    I am a proud British European!

Quote Originally Posted by CTCELT88 View Post
    I think eventually, yes. PC's will still be used for business but the tablet is better for home use as it is more portable, so I think the tablet will takeover. In 10 years time something else will take over from the tablet!
    I don't see a point on using a tablet. Install windows in it instead!

You've brought up a good point Warkman - Cloud computing changes everything. You may already use Cloud computing without knowing it! If you have an email account with Hotmail, Yahoo Mail or Gmail.

Granted large computer screens will always be needed for designers, film makers and creative industries but I think more people will use computers where the software isn't loaded onto the computer and files, photos etc are stored on your ISP database. I'm sure Virginmedia already have this facility.

What's the point of having a static, stand alone PC stuck on a dedicated desk. We have wireless, internet, printers, cameras, VCRs. Virginmedia are doubling the broadband speeds of existing customers - I'll be on 60mb by August for no extra charge.

Technology moves so quickly and is getting cheaper and more accessible with touch screens, voice activating 'inteligent thinking' software like Apple's 'Sirus'

I think this spells the' death nell' for PCs as we know them - I reckon they'll start phasing them out by 2014 or earlier. They'll go the same way as the floppy drive. Well that's my view - what's yours?
    I don't think they be phased out. There are so much people using PC's.

Hi Foxes,

An Apple can run both its own system software and Windows too. A Mac can boot up from scratch in under 40 seconds You're right it is a superior machine and I like to use it because I know nothing about computers - it's child's play to use!

Only 4% of computer users have a Mac. I used to work in the creative industries and have only ever used a Mac for over 15 years - long before they brought out the ipod, ipad and iphone. Once you've used one you'd never use a 'PC' again!

I have an old G4 if you were local you could have had it free of charge - but would you want it?