Thread: Help/advise for my PIP assessment please?

Help/advise for my PIP assessment please?

Hi,

I have very recently submitted for PIP and roughly 1 week ago received a letter from Capita stating they will be arriving at my house this Thursday (21/07/2016). I am extremely anxious about this visit and i'm not sleeping or when I do sleep I have continuous nightmares about anything and everything.

Some quick background on myself:

My depression started in middle school which was deprived from severe bullying, harassment, being assaulted and being stabbed in school. My depression over the last 3 years has dramatically escalated to a point even i fear for my own sanity and thinking. My school never supported me through these horrific acts that happened to me nor could I bring myself to go to the GP for medication as even if I told a friend it would spread like wildfire (i had told a "friend" i was extremely depressed which in turn everybody found out and made my life a living hell).

At the age of 18 i went to commit suicide, I could no longer cope with anything nor did i feel i had anybody that could remotely talk to - I instead didn't commit suicide as I understood the aftermath of taking ones life on your family and loved ones. I cannot go anywhere without getting panic attacks, like everything is closing in around me.. like people are watching me and waiting to do something.. This is because when i was young I used to go out with my "friends" and I'd end up with a gang of people that was actually attack myself or severe harassment. I fear the absolute worst going out now and ive become almost paranoid that im in danger (even if I'm in the GP surgery).

Even if I'm with a loved one or a family member I feel continuously on edge, that something will happen and they wont do anything because nobody cares. My mind plays on events no matter where I am or what im doing of whats happened to me or even if I've said something or did something slightly odd or different it plays like a track record for days upon days and never ceasing even at night.. this eventually leads to my what I call "a bad day" where my mind goes towards "whats the point of living if this is all you suffer?". I fear the worst meeting new people let alone having to go out literally anywhere.

I'm on Venaflaxine 37.5mg x2 a day but i'm currently being referred to a psychologist to help with my depression/suicidal thoughts/nightmares. My nightmares are vivid and cause me to lash out throughout the night and wake up exhausted, almost drained like I've not even slept (i feel like im zombie most days).

I feel that gets my depressive side roughly out the way, I suffer with my walking and legs. My muscles are permanently in a locked status - you're probably thinking "what does that even mean?" well it means if you've worked out for several hours your muscles become tight as you've worked them.. yes thats what I have 24/7 so my bones and muscles are unable to move properly without causing chronic pain. My muscles due to the lack of support or help have been damaged as this has lasted for 22 years (finally receiving help ... Steroid injections/shock wave therapy) to help with pain management. Since my muscles are permanently tense my bones are cutting into them causing more pain and discomfort (i can barely stand for 5 seconds without massive pain surging through my feet and legs). If i have to walk I must rest every minute or even a few minutes at best. This only helps to provide another brief moment to get around again..

This pain and discomfort along with the fact it puts me in so much pain i can even barely get about without being reduced to sit down for hours upon hours means i feel restricted in doing anything. Have to walk a little bit to the GP? I'll be in absolutely agony/chronic pain for days afterwards. It makes me literally not go anywhere for I know its just not worth the pain. This pain simply amplifies my depression and makes it worse thus leading to me want to commit suicide to stop all this (I have told my GP all this).

I'm at a point now that im onto PIP..

With my assessment happening Thursday along with already providing 15 pages of evidence from Private, NHS and GP about all my conditions I'm absolutely worried they will see me Thursday and think i'm some sort of lying freak that doesn't deserve anything. Or they wont handle me worries or concerns or even my conditions properly and that I will completely and utterly fail the assessment. I'm scared that when I finally get an answer they will think that its just a bit of pain and being sad and ill get over it in time. I cannot sleep or do anything as the whole ordeal is consuming all my thoughts, emotions and way of thinking. My dreams are literally living the assessment and opening the letter for it to say "FAILED. you are a FAILURE" I do not know why this happens.. it simply makes me more scared and anxious.

Can anybody please advise or help me? Or provide me with how their assessments went and how you think things will be from your own perspective? Literally anything I just need a helping hand.

Sincerely,
    Aaren

P.S: Sorry about the wall of text
    P.P.S: I've made this post after reading extensively from other members including how they are and how supportive people have been. thank you.
    Last edited by Aaren93; 07-19-2016 at 11:15 AM.

I am so sorry to hear that you are going through such a rough time but please that you are eventually getting some help.

When we use the internet for information we often only read of the worst case scenarios. Often people get the right award of PIP and find the assessors pleasant and understanding.

You have medical evidence and have been granted a home visit. The granting of a home visit recognises that you have difficulties. often people have to have a face to face assessment.

Have you someone who can be with you when the assessor comes? Would this make you feel less anxious? A carer/ a friend/ member of your family?

PIP is awarded for care and mobility needs. Someone is coming to assess you to see if you have those needs. This does not mean that if you are not awarded PIP you are a failure of have failed.

Claiming PIP is voluntary. You do not have to claim PIP. Therefore it is not a question of failing (like in an exam.)

Unfortunately, like in all walks of life , there are people who are not very good at their jobs so if you get one of these then you can appeal any decision that is made. Appeals are done by different people and are often successful. Anyway, enough of appeals. You have medical evidence and a home visit so have the best chance of getting the award you need.

With the evidence you have the assessor will know that you are receiving treatment so should not be thinking you are 'just being sad'. You have an illness and this has been recognised by the treatment you are receiving.

Please come back and tell us how you get on - you will get through this - I will be thinking of you.

Blog Entries
    Hi, would like to point out the 20/07/16 is a Wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by mooz View Post
    Hi, would like to point out the 20/07/16 is a Wednesday.
    Thanks for letting me know. Couldnt think due to depression.

Quote Originally Posted by pmlindyloo View Post
    I am so sorry to hear that you are going through such a rough time but please that you are eventually getting some help.

When we use the internet for information we often only read of the worst case scenarios. Often people get the right award of PIP and find the assessors pleasant and understanding.

You have medical evidence and have been granted a home visit. The granting of a home visit recognises that you have difficulties. often people have to have a face to face assessment.

Have you someone who can be with you when the assessor comes? Would this make you feel less anxious? A carer/ a friend/ member of your family?

PIP is awarded for care and mobility needs. Someone is coming to assess you to see if you have those needs. This does not mean that if you are not awarded PIP you are a failure of have failed.

Claiming PIP is voluntary. You do not have to claim PIP. Therefore it is not a question of failing (like in an exam.)

Unfortunately, like in all walks of life , there are people who are not very good at their jobs so if you get one of these then you can appeal any decision that is made. Appeals are done by different people and are often successful. Anyway, enough of appeals. You have medical evidence and a home visit so have the best chance of getting the award you need.

With the evidence you have the assessor will know that you are receiving treatment so should not be thinking you are 'just being sad'. You have an illness and this has been recognised by the treatment you are receiving.

Please come back and tell us how you get on - you will get through this - I will be thinking of you.
    My partner and mother is going to sit in and support me. Im thinking about writing what has happened and how it effects me and handing it to them as i dont feel ill be able to word it if i have to speak.

Ill update thursday how it all goes.

Hi,is there anyone who could help me ?? I filled in a form for pip in May 2016 and was sent a letter for to have a medical assessment and my daughter had mus laid the letter so she phoned them and explained what had happened and added that I would not have been able to attend due to my illness , I suffer with agrophobia I have Tietze syndrome , I have osteo arthritis in my spine and neck which is worsening daily and I suffer with anxiety and depression . Anyway when my daughter explained this to them they said that. I had to put another application form in with a doctors letter stating I was agoraphobic on top of my other ailments so I filled another form in sent them a Doctors letter stating the agoraphobia this form and letter was sent in the middle of August and I have recieved a letter and it "said thank you for your requested have your personal independence payment claim looked at again .i have reconsidered the decision dated 9th August 2016 I have looked at the facts and evidence we used to make the original decision .i have also considered the points you've raise and any new information provided .after careful consideration of all the information I've bee unable to change the original decision."!!! It then goes on to say that if I need to discuss this decision to contact a telephone number ,so I did phone them and they just said to me that I have to appeal against this decision if I'm not satisfied . I am at a loss for what to do next and I only have one month from the 16 January to send an appeal in .is there someone that could tel me what to do next ?! I have been to my local centre where they help people with forms for allsorts of problems but they have only appointment and it is going to take longer waiting for na appointment to have their help .i would be most grateful if anybody could send me in the right direction many thanks Lizzie
    Last edited by Lizzie47; 02-02-2017 at 05:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizzie47 View Post
    Hi,is there anyone who could help me ?? I filled in a form for pip in May 2016 and was sent a letter for to have a medical assessment and my daughter had mus laid the letter so she phoned them and explained what had happened and added that I would not have been able to attend due to my illness , I suffer with agrophobia I have Tietze syndrome , I have osteo arthritis in my spine and neck which is worsening daily and I suffer with anxiety and depression . Anyway when my daughter explained this to them they said that. I had to put another application form in with a doctors letter stating I was agoraphobic on top of my other ailments so I filled another form in sent them a Doctors letter stating the agoraphobia this form and letter was sent in the middle of August and I have recieved a letter and it "said thank you for your requested have your personal independence payment claim looked at again .i have reconsidered the decision dated 9th August 2016 I have looked at the facts and evidence we used to make the original decision .i have also considered the points you've raise and any new information provided .after careful consideration of all the information I've bee unable to change the original decision."!!! It then goes on to say that if I need to discuss this decision to contact a telephone number ,so I did phone them and they just said to me that I have to appeal against this decision if I'm not satisfied . I am at a loss for what to do next and I only have one month from the 16 January to send an appeal in .is there someone that could tel me what to do next ?! I have been to my local centre where they help people with forms for allsorts of problems but they have only appointment and it is going to take longer waiting for na appointment to have their help .i would be most grateful if anybody could send me in the right direction many thanks Lizzie
    Hello Lizzie
    To start your Appeal You need to send them form SSCS1 + a copy of that MR Refusal Letter, you don't need to send anything else at this time. You can be very brief when giving your reasons for your request for Appeal on that form (SSCS1), just say something along the lines of 'you don't agree with this decision because you don't believe your case has been considered fully or fairly'. You should be able to download the form to print off, just Google for it, if you can't do this call back at that benefit advisers office and ask if they can do it for you, but you really must act quickly to get it in on time.
    All this will give you time to put your case together for the Tribunal and you really should get the help of that Benefit Adviser to do that properly.

Failing that, you can also make a new Application immediately, but you should also get the help of that Adviser to do this to the best effect.

NB: You need to start a thread of your own to get more advice your post here will get missed by many people.

Come on back and let us know how it's going.

Here's a link to download that form (SSCS1)
    https://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/h...scs001-eng.pdf
    Last edited by Jard; 02-03-2017 at 02:48 PM.