Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PIP - Mobility (Planning & Following a Route)

PIP - Mobility (Planning & Following a Route)

I was recently awarded PIP on a two year award.

Scored 8 on Daily Living
    Scored 10 on Mobility

I am currently thinking about doing a mandatory reconsideration which I need some advice as to if anyone with experience feels I have any chance of a positive outcome.

The part in question more so, is the mobility.

Planning & following a route, I scored 0.

I did however score 10 point on moving around, as I can stand but am unable to move more than 50m, which I am not questioning.

Regarding the first part, planning & following a route...

What does this actually mean?

I feel I should have at least scored 4 points, if not more.

On a day to day basis I do not leave the house. This is due to mobility mostly, however most days due to the medication levels I feel unsafe to do so alone.

If I have appointments, I will either get a taxi, ask a family member or friend to drive me or as a last resort drive myself (if I feel well enough & only if it's to a familiar place & short distance).

I have been under the care of a psychiatrist who has been treating me for travel anxiety.

I am unable to travel alone to an unfamiliar place. I will not do this whether regardless of how close. If I was to, it would take me a long time, I've been known to get very anxious, have rage, get upset, brake, speed, swerve.

My psychiatrist has been working with me to encourage myself to get out and about more, and my boyfriend also is helping with this.

More often than not, he will drive me, he takes full responsibility of timings, planing the route, of course following it. Even then I still become anxious is its a new place.

I've been known to shout, cry, grab the steering wheel etc and this is all documented with my psychiatrist.

I do not use public transport, this is because with my medication I would not be able to plan the route, work out when to leave, which bus or train to get on. Then I'd struggle with anxiety if I could get a seat or not etc. I'd also feel unsafe as I could fall asleep as I do get very drowsy.

My normal life proper to having my condition would be driving every day by myself, getting a train to London on occasions. So currently this is far from normal.

I'm only 27 so where possible I'd love to have some independence but having to rely on taxis more so can be expensive especially as most of money already goes on getting to apps.

I called today and spoke about the outcome and they said the only evidence used was what i wrote on my forms and the assessment on the day which only lasted 20-30 mins and had only a few questions.

Is it worth explaining the above in writing & submitting notes from my pshychiatrist regarding the unfamiliar places, anxiety etc.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

-------

On a day to day basis I do not leave the house. This is due to mobility mostly, however most days due to the medication levels I feel unsafe to do so alone.

If I have appointments, I will either get a taxi, ask a family member or friend to drive me or as a last resort drive myself (if I feel well enough & only if it's to a familiar place & short distance).

I have been under the care of a psychiatrist who has been treating me for travel anxiety.

I am unable to travel alone to an unfamiliar place. I will not do this whether regardless of how close. If I was to, it would take me a long time, I've been known to get very anxious, have rage, get upset, brake, speed, swerve.

My psychiatrist has been working with me to encourage myself to get out and about more, and my boyfriend also is helping with this.

More often than not, he will drive me, he takes full responsibility of timings, planing the route, of course following it. Even then I still become anxious is its a new place.

I've been known to shout, cry, grab the steering wheel etc and this is all documented with my psychiatrist.

I do not use public transport, this is because with my medication I would not be able to plan the route, work out when to leave, which bus or train to get on. Then I'd struggle with anxiety if I could get a seat or not etc.

----------

Based on that I would say you have atleast a fair chance of 4points (atleast)

However saying that if I were you I would try to get an appointment at CAB.

Bare in mind however that they may look again at ANY part of your claim,

You really need to be aware there is a risk you could lose what you have, perhaps be safer to wait till your 2 year review is up. My understanding of this question applies more to those with learning difficulties etc

It does, however recent cases have opened the way for other areas than learning difficulties for it. If your comfortably sure of your points then go for it. If your not so sure then it may be best to wait

Thank you.

I have managed to gain all my medical history from the two psychiatrists I've been seeing.

Both state that I am suffering from PSTD and have severe travel anxiety. I will submit these with this point.

I know I do not have learning difficulties but the questions is surround going out and familiar places, which I feel has got nothing to do with learning difficulties. It really should be whether you can or can't do something and prove why.

I am worried they will look over everything so am also submitting more evidence regarding my daily activities I struggle with in hope it will only support my claim further.

I'm not sure whether to focus only on this one part within mobility or also try and explain some point with the daily living.

I went to citizens advice yesterday and they were useless! Showed me the mandatory reconsideration document on their website and that was it. I knew more than the woman who was apparently helping me, so very disappointed in that.

Hopefully they will see I do struggle daily with going out.

Thank you for your help.

I don,t have learning difficulties,but this is something I hope to get points for when I change over from dla to pip
    I did actually appeal when I didnt get low rate mobility dla but the tribunal wrote that I was fine when out in the afternoon,even managing to drive!! when I have never driven
    I have "absenses" and even if the journey is familiar I am well known for forgetting to get off at my designated stop,,or getting on the wrong bus/train/tram,,,I will get to my alighting point,,check when mine due,,and then absently just get on the first one that comes along,,,
    with getting off(or not) I often end up in strange places and am lost
    Once on the way home from hospital I overrode my stop five times,kept getting off,going back the way I came, overiding again and so on,untill eventually I was exhausted and just sat at the staion for half an hour crying
    On saturday I was riding the merseyrail,,had an absense and unbeknown to myself got off two stops early,,founf myself in some sort of rabbit warren of corridoors,was looking for the escalator to the main train station as I thought I was at lime st...had a panick attack and crying tried to ring my partner,but of course no reception on underground,,took ten mins to realise my mistake, but it felt like ten hours

Sorry to hear that.

Luckily I do have supporting evidence that states I struggle to undertake any journey as a passenger or driver. It also diagnoses me with severe travel anxiety and on the PSTD spectrum with high scoring anxiety.

I'm hoping it will at least score me 4 points.

I hope to send off the information over the weekend and if I'm successful I'll let you know.

Basically I've just written what a typical day and week is, and that I need encouraging to even get out at all. Which is one of my treatment plans from my psychiatrist.

I just hope that they honour it on the basis I do need encouraging to undertake any journey and every journey me distress.

Quote Originally Posted by cbchapman View Post

Your license needs to be revoked as soon as possible before you kill someone.

Quote Originally Posted by TanyaG View Post
    Your license needs to be revoked as soon as possible before you kill someone.
    Couldn't agree more!

By the sounds of it, your meds are on the list of those that you are supposed to inform the dvla that you are taking