Thread: Barcodes on DWP documents

Barcodes on DWP documents

If you scan the barcode on the PIP Form they send you, all you get is your National insurance number, but it doesn’t take you to an actually website, the browser states “No results”

My question is, if you scan the bar code with a barcode reader on your phone, is it traceable, are the DWP checking on you?

PIP was supposed to be a fully computerised claim process, hence the barcodes which should have linked to your casefile at the DWP.
    (Not that you would have been able to access this yourself anyway, it was for internal use).

Of course they overestimated just what they could do and had to revert to a paper based claim process.
    The only hangover from this is the barcode which now only contains your NI number on all the paperwork.
    Its just the same as writing your NI number on the top of the sheets.

Are they tracking if you use your phone to scan it?
    I doubt it, they would have to be hacked into your phone and watching what it does 24 hours a day.
    Nobody has the manpoweer to do that, especially not the DWP.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Well, its one good thing they’re not spying on us. It does seem a waist of ink putting a black data matrix box on every page, I’m sure an NI number would have sufficed.

I tend to stamp my NI number on each page and document I send them, just in case they get mysteriously lost.

I'm sure that the sooner manually filled out forms are phased out the better. I can no longer use my writing hand but I'm a thumb and finger typists so online forms are best for me.

Most hand writte5n forms will no doubt be 'digitalised' after being scanned. Let's face it - it's a lot easier to store 10,000 applications on a DVD than have boxes and boxes of paper files taking valuable space up.

I guess many older benefit claimants don't want to use a computer even if it's free from the Library.

Bar codes and Smartphones that can create bar codes and read them are a great idea.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Let there be Light!.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	33.6 KB 
ID:	1658
    Last edited by Lighttouch; 29-08-16 at 10:13.

Can I ask are esa fully scanned on as no bar codes on there paperwork or there work from the form it self

It is possible, as the forms can be scanned and filed, there is also automatic handwriting recognition, which could check for NI number. This would make the work easier, can then be sent electronically to assessor if necessary, plus easier to keep everything together, but then that would make sense. So maybe that's a bit too much to ask of them!

Stacy,

I wrote a longer answer in your othere thread, there is no barcoding on ESA50s, and you don't send them to the DWP anyway but staright to Maximus.
    As far as I am aware (99% sure) documents scanned by the DWP mail handling centres are only scanned in as PDFs.
    (They won't spend the money for handwriting recognition software, which often doesn't work anyway).
    The orignals are then sent for storage usually for 4 weeks but can be for up to 14 months, after which they are destroyed.

The scanned images are also deleted 14 months after a claim is closed.
    This FoI reply explains it:
    https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...03%20Reply.pdf
    Last edited by nukecad; 10-07-17 at 13:04.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.