Thread: PIP - Personal Independence Payments Advice Sought

PIP - Personal Independence Payments Advice Sought

Hi,

I have been suffering from chronic depression since 2002 and have been medically retired from my occupation in 2010 as a result. A friends has suggested I may be entitled to PIP. I have been reading the government PIP gfactsheet and guidelines regarding the assessment for both the Daily Living and Motorbility component.

QUESTION

Are PIP applicants assessed on their ability to carry out day to day activities and the impact their disability has on being able to do so based on the benefits of any prescribed medication being taken. E.g, would I be assessed on the extent to which I would for example be able to engaging with other people face to face if I were not taking medication?

If I were not taking anti-depressants then I would not beable to perform several of the day to day activities assessed as part of the 'daily living' component for way more than 50% of the time during a 12 month period. However, when taking medication I would be able to perform the activities.

Thanks

James

You would get some points for using meds but you would needva lot more from other areas, ive no experience of mental health issues so hopefully some one more qualified can answer, do you have any other conditions or problems?