Thread: Expert Patient Program

Expert Patient Program

Hello,

I'm currently doing the Expert Patient Program and even though it's helpful, it's not quite what I was expecting. I was hoping to be told how to cope with chronic pain through diet, exercise and other methods but with the Expert Patient Program, I feel like we are scrapping the surface of every element. For example, we did a relaxation technique which was good but then we moved on quickly to problem solving. I don't think we are going to do any real exercise on the course but as I'm on week 4 of 6, I'm not sure yet. The course is also very focused on setting goals which is one area I'm a control freak about as I always have my lists of what I want to achieve and by when (much to the annoyance of the ones around me).

I appreciate that the course is very short and that the tutors have a lot to cover in this time but is there a more comprehensive course out there that might be more suitable for someone like me? Any advice?

Have you ever thought of going to aerobics.

punk rocker
    OK where are the experts? I found the tutors were amature in thier ability to lead the group. to me they had little understanding of living with a chronic condition, and no expertise medical knowledge. personally found the course frustrating, lacking genuine useful knowledge and not relevant for people with real life challenging medical conditions. For me a badly run support group. thanks but no thanks.

I think the course has it's advantages and disadvantages. The positives I found were that the tutors were lovely, it was great to meet other local people with various disabilities and it was an eye opener to hear their stories as everyone has their own stories. The negatives for me were that most of what is covered, I already do such as goal setting and using visual techniques like imagining yourself in a pretty field or such like, doesn't work for me as I'm too logical. If I was asked to imagine myself down by the sea with the sea breeze on my face, the first thing that popped into my head was 1) we are more than 10 miles from the sea, and 2) how did we even get to the sea side? Like I said, the visual process doesn't work for everyone as they expained on day one.

It's a good course and I'm defintely going to stick with it but it's not comprehensive enough to challenge me in any way.

You need a referral to your local Pain Management Consultant and then onto a Pain Management course usually done at your local hospital.
    Motability Car History
    05/09-05/12; Nissan Qashqai 1.5 Diesel Tekna; 36,500 miles; avg 41.1mpg
    06/12-07/15; Ford C-Max 2.0 Diesel Titanium Powershift; 35,400 miles; avg 37.8mpg
    07/15-09/17; Skoda Octavia 1.6 Diesel SE-L DSG; 28,200miles; avg 43.9mpg
    09/17-Present; VW Touran 1.4 Petrol SEL DSG; 11,600miles; avg 35.9mpg (28.6 - 43.9mpg)

Click here to send me an email with any private Motoring questions you may have. Replies usually within 48hrs

I wanted to give the Expert Patient Program a try mainly because it's such a stupid name but unfortunately the nearest ones to me entailed a 75 mile round trip and I just cannot afford it.
    From the sound of it I'm glad I didn't bother.

I find that often these things are arranged by people who think they know us, but as usual, they do not ask us. This seems to be the case in this. Yes, there is a lot we can learn about managing our disabilities & pain, but what we need to learn is what we do not know.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Stephen

Stick with you may find it infuriating at the moment but it will give you some starting points for further research. As an ex lists and deadline person I would suggest enquiring about Pacing techniques when you go again.

For background information on the scheme read on

I believe attendance is still voluntary? but I agree with your assessment of the expert patients programme.
    I was was on a previous 14 week course, call pain and condition management that this replaced. The problem is that this was run by health professionals, and the new sheame is run by, well meaning, but badly directed volunteers (with a heavy work load!)

I know this as I attended a pilot of the new programme and was going to volunteer until i saw the material to be delivered. and the work load you can't keep up if you are ill that's why they have no disabled/sick advisers.

Epp

I did this course online some years ago. It was helpful up to a point but had its limitations.

Quote Originally Posted by trin View Post
    Hello,

I'm currently doing the Expert Patient Program and even though it's helpful, it's not quite what I was expecting. I was hoping to be told how to cope with chronic pain through diet, exercise and other methods but with the Expert Patient Program, I feel like we are scrapping the surface of every element. For example, we did a relaxation technique which was good but then we moved on quickly to problem solving. I don't think we are going to do any real exercise on the course but as I'm on week 4 of 6, I'm not sure yet. The course is also very focused on setting goals which is one area I'm a control freak about as I always have my lists of what I want to achieve and by when (much to the annoyance of the ones around me).

I appreciate that the course is very short and that the tutors have a lot to cover in this time but is there a more comprehensive course out there that might be more suitable for someone like me? Any advice?
    The funny thing about this course is on one hand I feel like it's limited and that I'm not really getting much out of it, but on the other hand, it's enjoyable! I do have to say that Beardo is right with what he said, and I am sticking with it, I'd never drop out of a short course after committing as it messes people about, and it's getting better every week. It's funny, by the time it gets "great" the course will be over.