Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 'Making do' with things

'Making do' with things

Yesterday I had our local curtain maker come around to put up two new curtain poles I'd ordered for two bedrooms. He had quite a job drilling into the wall above the window as there's a concrete plinth there - he needed his hammer drill!

So know I'm looking a bit more trendy with chrome curtain rails and curtains to follow.

I used this company as I'd used them before to put up curtain rails and curtains 22 years ago - I'm still using the same curtains which are lined and weighted at the bottom. I think in the long run quality pays for itself three times over.

Have you still got something that gives you a good service that's years old - and I don't mean your partner! lol

I have curtains, both ready made and home made that are still going strong after well over 30 years and are not dated at all. Classic designs.

I have a fridge freezer I've had since 1987, we bought it second hand reconditioned for £80 from a local chap that reconditioned and sold fridges so I've no idea how old it was at the time. It does leek a bit if it's moved and it sometimes makes a racket but I'm reluctant to replace it because it still works.

We did have a washing machine we bought in 1988 that worked for 23 years, I would buy a second hand one the same make and model if I got the chance because since my original one broke we've had 2 washing machines, I know the one I've got now probably won't last! Coincidentally a family in one of the soaps has the same washing machine we had and I only suggested last night I should write to the production company and make them an offer!

I've also got a 28 year old vacuum cleaner that is still in use.

I tend not to replace things if they work, repairing stuff isn't economical anymore, as a child I remember having local workshops that repaired stuff I guess things where more expensive to replace in those days (1960s/70s) and a lot of people still lived with the "make do and mend" philosophy, but now I make do but don't mend.

The polo shirt I am wearing right now has a company logo saying 'Indespension 2000'.

And yes it's over 16 years since I worked for them.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

I don't believe in disposing of anything if there is plenty of wear left in it, clothes, soft furnishings or anything really.

I bought a tumble dryer in 2001 and it's still working perfectly. I know the energy rating will be shocking but I don't tend to replace things unless they are broken.

I got this body in 1956, over the years it held up pretty well but nowadays it's slowly dropping to bits, it still gets me about and just about manages most things but unfortunately there's no warranty on it and no chance of an upgrade to a newer model.

Just have to make do with it as best as I can

Phaedra, congratulations on your 6 decades of being on this spinning piece of earth - I'm a whisker behind you.

I still wouldn't swop to being a teenager as I like where I am. After all wine matures with age so why shouldn't we! lol

My curtains in the living room were definitely there in the 90's and have moved house 3 times. Carpets some also. But when it comes to electrics - well I had to replace the freezer recently (probably brought in the 90's so well overdue) and the new one is more efficient energy wise. Washer had to be replaced cuz they don't make em anymore (but that was under insurance, so wa hayy!)
    I think hanging on to old white goods can be false economy as the new ones can be more efficient these days.

Having said that, we lived for many years w.o. a TV or video. (in the 80's) and clothes shopping was charity shops in the main. Most furniture was gifted to us or passed on. So pleased 5 years ago when my son brought us a settee and we could actually CHOOSE one!
    I did spend on new furniture when divorced.....due to having none!! Essential stuff like table, chairs, bed, wardrobe.....

My Mum still regularly uses a sewing machine that was a wedding present in 1961.