Thread: Travel in UK, using hotels.

Travel in UK, using hotels.

Hello,

I am looking at the possibility of travelling in the UK.
    I am a wheelchair user not 100% wheelchair bound but close and have never been alone...ever!

Sorry for the basicness of my questions, I really don't know the answer and feel a bit embarrassed.
    I am trying to push myself to do new things.

How easy is it to live in a hotel on your own, with a disability.
    What kind of services are available?
    Going for a week should I take 5 changes of clothes?

I hope for good advice....yes maybe I have had a sheltered life.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Biscuitgazer
    I haven't been on my own, but here's my opinion anyway, for what it's worth, because I went on holiday last winter in a not-able-to-walk-much condition:
    I booked a "disabled" room i.e. on the ground floor and with a bath fitted instead of a shower. I endured it for the first night or two but got them to put me in a normal room as soon as possible. Because the hotel had lifts, it was nicer upstairs and the room was easy to get to, not miles away from the lobby like the ground floor room was. And showering worked for me, plus the bathroom fittings all had levers anyway although the toilet had no rail.
    Travel light, it's no fun carting lots of luggage around. If you go to Spain or somewhere, take a swimming costume, if you're going somewhere in the U.K. take a raincoat & jacket, & have a fabulous holiday!

Its perfectly feasible. I travel all the time. But if you have never travelled before, you need to do your homework first. First of all where are you thinking of going? whats your budget? what are you going to do there? how are you travelling? (car, train, taxi)
    Most big chain hotels (Premier Inn, holiday Inn) have disabled access rooms and disabled bathrooms - but you have to book them in advance. Have a think further about what you want to do. I'll put up some links to disabled travel websites

https://www.euansguide.com/

https://www.accomable.com/about

these are just 2 of the many blogs/sites set up BY disabled people, for disabled people to find accessible places in differing locations

When staying in a hotel, it's worth telling them you have a disability, so they can make the Night staff aware in case of an emergency evacuation, but most hotels come with wifi (a lot free but not all) on site restaurant / bar and sometimes gym and laundry facilities. It all depends on the star rating and size of the hotel really.

I have seen that some of the hotels provide the best option for the long distance which most of the people love to go and enjoy the vacarions with the Hotel Booking Sites https://travelsites.com/booking-sites/ which provide the good option for staying in the best comfortable way.

The bigger chains in my experience tend to have decent facilities, Premier and Holiday Inn. Possibly the best, and most expensive was the Radisson Blue, East Midlands Airport fantastic wet room/showerroom!

Look at the links above, contact the hotel directly, their idea of 'accessible' may just mean the doorways, is their room to turn a chair, somewhere to put it if you don't use it all the time. I've had a few bad experiences, building work going on, right next to a noisy lift, or a fantastic view of the side of a building!

Also check your wheelchair insurance for 'distance' terms! Unlikely but the VERY worst situation could be damage/breakdown. When travelling with the girl we tended to check where the nearest wheelchair mobility place was online.. Just in case!

Happy Adventures..