Thread: PIP Assessment - Declined Daily Living Component

PIP Assessment - Declined Daily Living Component

Hi,

I recently underwent an assessment with Capita at my home, requesting a female assessor due to the fact it is almost impossible for me to communicate with males due to suffering from PTSD after leaving a very violent and controlling relationship (please note I also suffer from agoraphobia, depression and anxiety), with me suffering panic attacks, nausea, pain and even episodes of disassociation when having to interact with males. When previously having male doctors/health professionals come to my home, they have had to leave due to the severe reaction I have had to them.

On undergoing my assessment, I was relatively 'at ease' with the assessor due to her being female, the assessment taking place in my home and me being 'in control' of the situation at hand. However, in the run up to my assessement, I was extremely 'unwell', being anxious and in extremley low mood, with me suffering from several episodes of disassosiation in the days prior due to the fact I was to have someone unknown in my home.

I have today received a letter advising me that I have been awarded the Standard Rate of Mobility having scored 10 points on 'Cannot undertake any journey because it would cause overwhelming psychological distress to the claimant'. I was declined the Daily Living Component, scoring no points.

Firstly, the decision was made solely on the assessors report with the DWP not contact either my doctor or cognitive behavioural therapist, having contacted both myself and being advised that no request for information was made. I, also do not understand how they can deem me unable to undertake any journey because it would cause overwhelming psychological distress to the me (due to the fact it is impossible for me to communicate with anyone I do not know outside of my home and suffering severe adverse reactions to males if I was to 'encounter one'), but yet scoring no points on the question 'can not engage with other people due to such engagement causing either - (i) overwhelming psychological distress to the claimant; or
    (ii) the claimant to exhibit behaviour which would result in a substantial risk of harm to the claimant or another person' which would have scored me enough points to be awarded the Daily Living Component. To me, these questions are one and the same and I should have been awarded points for both. I also believe that their decision was made on how I 'seemed' on the day, rather than taking into account my health in the longer term.

I am to appeal this decision, however, appreciate any advice or suggestions anyone may have.

Quote Originally Posted by SMW83 View Post
    Firstly, the decision was made solely on the assessors report with the DWP not contact either my doctor or cognitive behavioural therapist

I am to appeal this decision, however, appreciate any advice or suggestions anyone may have.
    Hi
    You seem to have everything in hand. Just remember to back up any specific points you want to make at the MR with any medical evidence you may have. Dont waste any time criticising the assessor, concentrate on your limitations.

Also it's worth pointing out that a claimant should collect all their medical info from consultants/GPs/behaviour therapists/etc themselves before they send the PIP2 claim form back to the DWP. The assessor '(or DWP) is under no obligation to chase anyone for your medical reports.