Thread: Getting PIP triggered downgrade of ESA from support to WRAG - help

Getting PIP triggered downgrade of ESA from support to WRAG - help

Been on ESA Support Group since Jan 2015 with no face to face based on psychiatric report from October 2014 saying I had PTSD

Bereavement and depression since August 2015

First face to face assessment was June 2016 and I was told I would continue in support group for 18 months

Also moved in with partner June 2016 as my condition worsened and he looks after me. He is also on ESA support group for mental health long term.

The move in with him prompted them to ask me to come for another assessment, they said this was an automatically generated letter and cancelled that assessment

July 2016 I applied for PIP and last week I was awarded daily living (9 pts) but no mobility (only 4 points) and at the same time a letter came saying I was now in the Work Related ESA group?

I have a letter form doc saying I no longer drive and wont go anywhere without my partner accompanying me due to extreme anxiety and PTSD related symptoms. Also said my depression/bereavement was still bad and that I was just beginning a home based bereavement counselling program as I couldnt go to the one in town as I dont go places alone and I avoid public places. It also says she has referred me to a psychiatrist to get the medication right as I may need a mood stabiliser because my mood swings are so severe and I have trouble with outbursts and irritaibility. And also that I need prompting and help managing my meds, making sure I eat and generally doing every day things.

they didnt have this info at my assessment so I am writing in for mandatory reconsideration and including that and the referral to the psychiatrist and the bereavement counselling information.

I also need to do the same for PIP as they have underestimated my mobility by saying i need prompting to undertake journeys. This isnt true - I wont leave the house without my partner.

any tips or thoughts on all this?

I was very annoyed too that in the PIP decision it said stuff like 'you said you cannot walk 200 meteres, I have decided that you can' - i never said i couldnt walk or do anything physical. My condition is 100% mental based. is it ok to ask them to correct that? it makes me look i said stuff i didnt say?

Pip and ESA are not related and the outcome of one cannot automatically change the other.

I would queries the ESA downgrade, and request an MR on PIP. Try to remember that though they're not related, you can use information from one to bolster the other.

When you're on the phone to ESA, don't mention pip, just ask why you have been downgraded and for a copy of the information used to make that decision.

I scored 30 points at the ESA assessment. You only need 15 to get into support group but they said I also need to meet certain descriptors??!

It also says its from Sept 2016 - Nov 2016

I can only think that the PIP award dated Sept 8th which said something about being able to work, use public transport and drive triggered this Sept 13 downgrade?

I have sent off mandatory reconsideration letters for both with letters of support from gp, bereavement counsellor and referral to psychiatrist dated 2 weeks ago. hope thats enough.

Quote Originally Posted by bella999 View Post
    I scored 30 points at the ESA assessment. You only need 15 to get into support group but they said I also need to meet certain descriptors??!

It also says its from Sept 2016 - Nov 2016

I can only think that the PIP award dated Sept 8th which said something about being able to work, use public transport and drive triggered this Sept 13 downgrade?

I have sent off mandatory reconsideration letters for both with letters of support from gp, bereavement counsellor and referral to psychiatrist dated 2 weeks ago. hope thats enough.
    You are mistaken in what you say here.
    You need 15 points to qualify for ESA (WRAG, ESA Schedule 2), to achieve Support Group you also need to qualify on one the ESA Schedule 3 Descriptors, which isn't points based.
    Theoretically you can score in excess of 200 points under the Schedule 2 Descriptors and still not qualify for Support Group.

Look up the Schedule 3 Descriptors and see which suits your condition best and base your request for MR/Appeal around that.

Best of Luck