Thread: Setting up as a sole trader in relation to DLA, ESA, HB and carers

Setting up as a sole trader in relation to DLA, ESA, HB and carers

Hello all! My partner has a long term disability that she was born with, I get carers allowance and she gets the higher rate DLA and we both collectively get income based ESA and housing benefit.

My partner has permitted work through her friend's business, but has not had work for some time because the business is undergoing some changes.

I have recently had some work through an agency and we informed the DWP who adjusted our claim according during the times I was working. No problem. While temping on benefits is problematic to some extent, I have a more clear idea on how this works in normal employment.

Recently I have had the idea of setting myself up as a sole trader as a freelance web designer as I have some skills I feel could be put to good use while looking for permanent employment, particularly while my partner is recovering from recent surgery. I have not taken these steps yet as I want to be able to find some clear information on how this works with these benefits.

I have read numerous information on permitted work which seem clear on one hand, however I have not found much information on partners of people who live together with someone who has a disability in relation to self employment of partners. If there is anyone out there who is in the same/similar situation any advice or pointers in the right direction would be gratefully appreciated as Im a bit confused by the DWP documentation and guidelines, they don't really help.

Self employment is treated the same as employment for tax credits, as the partner of a disabled person, if she gets high care dla you can get disabilty premium added to working tax as you work with 16 hrs. The disabled person themselves do not actually need to work. You would of course lose esa but if you go to online tax credits calculator you can see how the money compares, it usually a lot more generous. Ps as long as you are working 16 hrs (you may not actually make any profit especially during your start up. Remember you can still earn110/ week (gross)and still get carers.
    https://www.gov.uk/tax-credits-calculator
    I suggest you put into the calculator that you work self employed earning 100 week, get carers and your wifes dla award and see what it spits out. Pay around with it maybe try putting in 0 earnings from your self employment.