Thread: Enquiry about ending a joint ESA claim

Enquiry about ending a joint ESA claim

Hi folks. I'm new here and was wondering if there's anyone who might be able to advise me. I am currently in receipt of ESA. I am in the Support Group. I claim for my partner as well, so it is a joint claim. Things have not gone well for us recently and I am seriously thinking about ending the relationship and moving out. My question is, what happens then? Can I just inform the DWP that we have separated and that I have moved out and get them to take my partner off the claim? Or will I have to make an entirely fresh claim for ESA, having to go through the entire process of another form, gathering evidence from my GP and consultant, and go through another medical? The thought of having to go through all that again at this stressful time, with the possibility that it might mess up my claim, fills me with horror.
    Thanks in advance for any answers.

Sorry to hear you and your partner are having problems.

Could this perhaps be because of your condition?
    Have you had any help, relationship counselling, etc.

We obviously can't advise on your relationship without knowing both of you.
    (And both sides of any problems).

If you do decide to separate then you would need to inform the DWP of a 'Change of Circumstances'.

It should not trigger a reassessment, but may do.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Thanks nukecad. There are a number of factors which have led our 29 year relationship to this place, my illness, neighbours problems and financial straits being amongst them and it may be that separation would be best for both of us