Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Epilepsy and benefits

Sorry to hear that shell66,

It is difficult to get PIP for epilepsy, or any other type of seizure or blackouts.

The PIP descriptors just don't cover seizures or blackouts by themselves.

You need to convince them that your epilepsy means that you cannot carry out the activities that are in the descriptors "safely, to an acceptable standard, repeatedly and within a reasonable time period."

An explanation of what "safely, to an acceptable standard, repeatedly and within a reasonable time period." actually means can be found on page 2 of- The Social Security (Personal Independence Payment) (Amendment) Regulations 2013

eg. twice setting fire to the cooker may not be regarded as "safely" when it comes to the "Preparing Food" descriptor.
    Did you tell them about this on your form?
    (There again they could just say 'use a microwave instead').

(I decided against even trying for PIP myself because the way the descriptors are worded I just would not fit them).

Have you got any help yet with making your MR and appeal?
    You might want to get in touch with "Epilepsy Action" they have a helpline you can ring:
    https://www.epilepsy.org.uk/info/support/helpline

They also have a webpage about claiming PIP with epilepsy that also covers asking for MR and appealing:
    https://www.epilepsy.org.uk/info/ben...e-payments-pip

Good luck for your MR (and appeal).
    Last edited by nukecad; 12-17-2016 at 08:17 AM.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Hi im speaking to the epilepsy nurse firat and ask him to write me a more detailed letter about the problems I get a very helpful mas frpm the dss suggested this because I get no warning of fits and the tablets themselves cause morbid depression he thought I should get something but ill keep updating

Hi guys just a quick update ive done mandatory appeal and spoke to epilepsy nurse who went mad when he saw what I had been turned down on so by his advice ive rang pip and told them medication has gpne up and to write to my epilepsy nurse to get full facts plus demand a face 2 face as I never had one before
    Ive also done assessment fpr esa and it was a bad day for me so my speach was slurred and the first words out pf the assor mouth was am I alcohol or drug dependant lol never done either plus I had video of fit when sshe saw it asked how I fed tje dog in video can you believe it

Ive had letter from esa and have been put into wrag

Quote Originally Posted by shell66 View Post
    Ive had letter from esa and have been put into wrag
    Good to hear that somthing is going right for you at last.

Are you happy with WRAG, or are you going to appeal and try for Support Group?

You would need to try for special Reg.35 'risk of harm' to get into Support Group though.
    See post #7 earlier in this thread.

Also how is the PIP situation going?

Im not going to appeal for support group the way the assessment went I was sure id failed so what im going to do is attend there meetings and if I injury myself or upset other people when im took ill its in there hands
    Pip the 50 million dollar question ive rang but its still been lopked at what I dont understand is I rang with change of circumstance meds going up more fits a day and tbey said someone else is looking at that wouldn't it be better for one person to look at everything

Im not going to appeal for support group the way the assessment went I was sure id failed so what im going to do is attend there meetings and if I injury myself or upset other people when im took ill its in there hands
    Pip the 50 million dollar question ive rang but its still been lopked at what I dont understand is I rang with change of circumstance meds going up more fits a day and tbey said someone else is looking at that wouldn't it be better for one person to look at everything

Quote Originally Posted by shell66 View Post
    .... tbey said someone else is looking at that wouldn't it be better for one person to look at everything
    Ah, but that would be sensible wouldn't it?
    Being sensible is not something that the DWP are renowned for.

For Shell 66

Hello Shell66. I am 64 this year and have had temporal libe epilepsy since I was 7 years of age starting with major seizures (tonic clonic) and also minor seizures which are complex partials (where I lose awareness and wander around not knowing where I am but don't collapse) and simple partials (just an unpleasant sensation of dejavu) lasting a few minutes.
    Over the years I have found my seizures have been stable at times and then for no apparent reason they've become frequent again. A few years ago they became daily (the minor ones I mean) after a very bad tonic clonic seizure where I ended up in hospital. I've been through most of the meds and now take Lavictoracitam and Cloberzam. I also have osteoporosis and arthritis due to 30 years of Carbarmazepine and have had both hips replaced, am waiting for an op on my thumbs and also been told I will need a knee replacement soon. When I was changed from SDA to ESA in 2015 I was put into the support group without any face to face interview thanks to my neurologist who knows I have often several complex partial seizures a week and also he stated that I shouldn't travel alone and that my post ictal wandering as he called it would put me in danger and would be too disruptive in the work place. I get my State Pension now, got it last November, still waiting to be assessed for PIP, not even been sent the forms but they did tell me that I would have to come off DLA and go onto PIP at some time because I was born after April 6th 1953. Good luck with your claims and also with your epilepsy. Mine's classed as drug resistant but is better than it has been. No tonic clonics for several years now, just these annoying minor seizures where I lose all awareness and drop things and wander about not knowing where I an and don't answer ppl when they speak to me.

Hi ive got partial complex seizures and absence seizures I get both around 3/4 times a day I never got a face to face for pip and have been turned down for mandatory appeal but here is where I laughed because there still looking at change of circumstances ive spoken to cab and been told to go to tribunal so yet again I start the process again