Thread: Steering ball

Steering ball

Hi. I have had a motability car for over two years. I have to drive purely using my hands, and so consequently use a steering ball. This is placed at the "10 o'clock" position on my steering wheel. Whenever I drive I get severe back and shoulder pain due to using the ball in this position. When I order my new car next year I was wondering whether I could ask for it to be placed in a different spot. Ideally at the "7 o'clock" position. Does anyone know if this is allowed or if my current place is the legal requirement? If it can't ve moved are motability able to fit additional arm rests in cars? Thank you in advance for any advise given.

Most steering aids are just clamped onto the standard steering wheel and so can be unclamped and moved to suit.

There is no legislation that says where the steering aid should be positioned, it's up to the user.
    The only limitation would be where the 'spokes' are on the wheel; and of course it is preferable that you can see the instruments when gripping it.

Have you considered one of the other options rather than a ball?
    It may be that a peg style may suit you better than a ball because of the different way they are gripped.

http://www.jeffgosling.co.uk/Steering/steering.html
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Pinklover, I have a steering ball too - makes light work of turning on a sixpence!

I bought mine on the internet and a friend fitted it in a position that feels comfortable for me at about 5 o'clock.

The centre of your steering wheel contains an airbag which is obviously inflated during an accident. I don't think your steering ball will be a problem to the safety bag if placed at 7 o'clock.

I agree. Can go wherever is comfy.

Thank you for all your replies. Very much appreciated.

If you leave it until you order your next car next year be sure to let the adaption fitter know in advance or they will put the ball where it was on your previous car.

That’s what I have found as they only asked me the first time and second and third time they just followed previous instruction.

That said, like it’s been mentioned above its an easy job to have someone move it and over the years there has been times where I’ve had to tighten the ball with an Allen key myself because the ball started to move a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
    If you leave it until you order your next car next year be sure to let the adaption fitter know in advance or they will put the ball where it was on your previous car.

That’s what I have found as they only asked me the first time and second and third time they just followed previous instruction.

That said, like it’s been mentioned above its an easy job to have someone move it and over the years there has been times where I’ve had to tighten the ball with an Allen key myself because the ball started to move a bit.
    Hi

Yes ive had to do that sign of the ball wearing out (the bit that goes over the wheel) I had my previous one for 20 years that had been stretched so many times to fit on loads of cars it was pretty much knackered so I had a new one which fits better now Ive still kept the orginal as a memento as I learnt to drive with that one