Thread: Standard rate PIP is ruining my mobility

Standard rate PIP is ruining my mobility

I think I know the answer to this already but its always worth a shot.

My mobility is appalling, I am in constant pain which is only worsened by walking/ standing. I still only qualify for 10 points of the mobility component of PIP so I don't qualify for a mobility car. However, a car would help me no end, I've been trying to save for one of my own for quite while but the expense of taxis slows, if not stops, this happening.

Is there anything I can do? Any other scheme or organisation? Has anyone had similar issues and found a resolution?

Thanks in advance

Blog Entries
    Hi, Perhaps you could ask PIP to look at your claim again. When was you last assessed? There are risks though, (as you may be aware of,such as loosing what you have) On the other hand your mobility problems could interact with your Daily Living abilities and give you points for D/L. Have a look at the descriptors for D/L and see if you fit in somewhere.

It happened to me so it happens for sure. Be as prepared as poss if you are going to go for it.

Welcome to Youreable cswewh , If you live in London the Taxicard may be available to you after assessment :

http://www.londoncouncils.gov.uk/ser...d-your-borough

If you work, you may be able to get help from Access to Work. This is a DWP benefit that they don't actively publicise. If they pay for taxis to work you could save what you would have spent.

Alternatively, if there is a support charity specific to the nature of your disability, they would be worth an enquiry.

Quote Originally Posted by cswewh View Post
    I think I know the answer to this already but its always worth a shot.

My mobility is appalling, I am in constant pain which is only worsened by walking/ standing. I still only qualify for 10 points of the mobility component of PIP so I don't qualify for a mobility car. However, a car would help me no end, I've been trying to save for one of my own for quite while but the expense of taxis slows, if not stops, this happening.

Is there anything I can do? Any other scheme or organisation? Has anyone had similar issues and found a resolution?

Thanks in advance
    I hope you may have been able to resolve this matter?

Mainly if you live in London

Hi, if you live in a London borough you can sign up with both taxicard and Dialaride, you can get application forms from TFL, you'll need your GP to sign the forms and you need a photo in the application for taxicard that gives you significant discounts on a number of taxi fares. I think there's also taxi vouchers in some places, but I don't know about those.

Alternatively you can use some pavement scooters on buses this would help you get about a bit, but you need to research those, because different bus companies have different policies, I spent weeks researching before I bought anything.