Thread: Advice about Home Care

Advice about Home Care

Hi

My grandmother has carer's come in 3 times a week in the morning to help her shower and get dressed. She's usually able to manage with just these visits. A couple of weeks ago she went into hospital with a urine infection and fell in the ward. The result was she broke her wrist in 2 places and has a cast on. Before she was discharged (on Monday) the home care manager in the hospital agreed to up her home care to 2 visits a day - am and pm - to help her dress in the morning and her her get ready for bed at night. I was told the home care would start on Tuesday morning.

Her carer came in on Tuesday morning like arranged. On Tuesday afternoon I phoned the home care company to find out what time to expect the evening visit and was told there was nothing in place for a pm visit. I explained that the hospital had set it up and the coordinator said she had my nana's paperwork and the morning visits had been ordered but not the evening. She hadn't even read the paperwork until I phoned so she had only restarted the 3 days per week (it's now been set up for every morning). She actually said 'it's a good thing you phoned or she wouldn't have had anyone out.' She said they couldn't do evening visits unless it had been okay'd by the social worker.

I phoned the social worker and they said they had the notes from the hospital ordering morning visits seven days a week but nothing for evening visits. She said she'd have to put a referral through to get my nana to get the evening visits (which she did right away) at which point she'd go on a waiting list until the homecare company had space. The social worker couldn't tell me how long this would take.

The hospital is saying that they definitely order visits twice a day. Everyone is passing the buck to each other and in the meantime my nana is only getting changed once a day and having to sleep in her clothes. I've explained to them all that I can't help her change as I have a shoulder injury that makes it impossible.

Is there anything I can do to hurry things along? Right now the homecare company are saying they can't start the visits until they have authorisation from the social worker and the social worker is saying they've put the referral through and she's on a waiting list to get them started. It's so frustrating!

Keep phoning the social worker and stress the fact that a sick old woman is having to sleep in her clothes and its NOT ACCEPTABLE! A referral from hospital usually goes on a urgent list.
    Who is paying for her care? Direct Payments? or Attendance Allowance? This awfully like my mom's story. Stress also that without change of clothes she's probably going to end up back in hospital. You really do have to make a fuss, I'm afraid, to get anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by reddivine View Post
    Keep phoning the social worker and stress the fact that a sick old woman is having to sleep in her clothes and its NOT ACCEPTABLE! A referral from hospital usually goes on a urgent list.
    Who is paying for her care? Direct Payments? or Attendance Allowance? This awfully like my mom's story. Stress also that without change of clothes she's probably going to end up back in hospital. You really do have to make a fuss, I'm afraid, to get anywhere.
    yess. agree. you have to make a Fuss

I suggest getting your MP involved
    This is wholly unacceptable

I was thinking about going down the MP route but thankfully they pushed it through quickly and started her care up the following evening. Thanks for your advice!

Glad to hear this ......