Thread: Motability,DLA,PIP

Motability,DLA,PIP

Hello All,
    Presently I am on DLA H/R both components,

At the beginning of 2015, I was eventually (after an M/R and appeal (Judge and Lawer) I was awarded H/Rate Care and Motability, AN INDEFINITE AWARD from middle rate Care and Low rate mobility.

I now want to obtain a vehicle not through 'Mobility' but an ordinary car sales company.

If I take out a loan for the purchase of this vehicle and do NOT get awarded PIP at High rate Care and Mobility I will not be able to afford the repayments on the vehicle, therefore I'll either have to return it or it will be repossessed.

I live in Hertfordshire and have absolutely NO idea when I'll be 'Invited' to apply for PIP, The problem is I REALLY NEED a vehicle ASAP.

Has anyone been in this position? Or had H/Rate Mobility, obtained a vehicle then the H/Rate Mobility was stopped?

Has ANYONE any idea when I may be invited to apply for PIP, I'm a 64-year-old Man, My condition will not change, I have a lot of supporting evidence from my Consultants in writing and a wonderful GP.

Should I apply for PIP Now or wait ?

Thank you to anyone who may be able to offer any advice.
    Regards

Hi Kalahari, this is really a Benefits query, I'm not too clued up on Benefits but I am thinking a Motability contract car is the safest bet in your situation i.e. you'd be entitled to £1,000 if your future transfer to PIP went awry.

It's impossible to say when you'll be invited to claim PIP (if ever?).

No matter how solid you feel your award is.....anything can go wrong so I wouldn't be inclined to rock the boat........keep thinking about the £1,000 safety net Motability will afford you.

Biscuitgazer
    Lots of people lose their higher rate mobility and therefore lose their Motability vehicle and you might easily become one of them, it's difficult to get HRM PIP. And nobody knows the DWP's timescales for PIP applications.
    Not even the DWP, I'm sure!

At this stage I don't think Motability is giving cash to those who lose their HRM any more - check on Motability's website.

They are still giving out the £2,000 to people who took out a lease before 2013.

Quote Originally Posted by kalahari View Post
    Hello All,
    Presently I am on DLA H/R both components,

At the beginning of 2015, I was eventually (after an M/R and appeal (Judge and Lawer) I was awarded H/Rate Care and Motability, AN INDEFINITE AWARD from middle rate Care and Low rate mobility.

I now want to obtain a vehicle not through 'Mobility' but an ordinary car sales company.

If I take out a loan for the purchase of this vehicle and do NOT get awarded PIP at High rate Care and Mobility I will not be able to afford the repayments on the vehicle, therefore I'll either have to return it or it will be repossessed.

I live in Hertfordshire and have absolutely NO idea when I'll be 'Invited' to apply for PIP, The problem is I REALLY NEED a vehicle ASAP.

Has anyone been in this position? Or had H/Rate Mobility, obtained a vehicle then the H/Rate Mobility was stopped?

Has ANYONE any idea when I may be invited to apply for PIP, I'm a 64-year-old Man, My condition will not change, I have a lot of supporting evidence from my Consultants in writing and a wonderful GP.

Should I apply for PIP Now or wait ?

Thank you to anyone who may be able to offer any advice.
    Regards
    This is more of a benefits enquiry rather than motoring and might "benefit" from being moved to that section. It's very difficult to advise on the specific question of when to apply for PIP. There are many stories of success on the forum along with an equal number of horror ones. This is a decision to be made after careful consideration of the facts and possible outcomes.

Hi Number 7, thanks for your helpful and informative reply.

Hello,
    Thank you for your informative reply

Many thanks for taking the time to reply, most informative.

My situation is that my wife is on Enhanced Care and Mobility for PIP, and therefore currently entitled to a Motability vehicle.

Due to the unknown/ uncertain continuity of entitlement over the 3-year term, we decided to consider a brand-new car on a Personal Contract Hire agreement.

The fact of being on benefits did not affect our ability to be accepted for finance, but no doubt everyone's personal circumstances will be different.

With our choice of car, the total monthly equivalent payment (car, insurance, servicing) is much lower than being on the Motability scheme, and with it being on a 2-year term, it would be more affordable if any one of the PIP elements were reduced - and we still retain the car.

Maybe not a choice for everyone, but worth a consideration.
    Having looked through Brokers' offers, we decided to go directly with a dealer and negotiated a very acceptable deal. (Get the car on Thursday!)

My starting point was: http://www.whatcar.com/car-leasing/
    (Note. The page defaults to Business VAT exclusive prices, but most deals are available on PCH.)