Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kymco K-Active Power Chair

Glad you got sorted Sky.

I find the seat lift invaluable. Speaking to people at eye level has been socially and professionally uplifting.
    Last edited by vantage; 01-18-2017 at 02:13 PM.
    No single thing can define me; not my work, not my politics, not my hobbies, not my vices and not my disability. I'm way more complex than that!

I love the lift too. It meant I could sit at the bar last night (test outing) without reaching up and be at the same height as everyone else.

How long did it take you to get used to the control? I've just tightened the controller swivel a little as I found I was getting a bit of a wobble on occasionally - mind you the pavements are worse than the roads over here (and the roads are probably some of the worst in the country).

Quote Originally Posted by Sky View Post
    I love the lift too. It meant I could sit at the bar last night (test outing) without reaching up and be at the same height as everyone else.

How long did it take you to get used to the control? I've just tightened the controller swivel a little as I found I was getting a bit of a wobble on occasionally - mind you the pavements are worse than the roads over here (and the roads are probably some of the worst in the country).
    Yes I know what you mean about being bar height. I hired a Puma 40 first and took it to the US. In some restaurants I asked for a neither table and their look was confused until I raised the seat.

I didn't have any issues to be honest. I sometimes my left armrest wobbles a little but I tend to lean on it a bit.
    No single thing can define me; not my work, not my politics, not my hobbies, not my vices and not my disability. I'm way more complex than that!

Hehe, yes mine had the same effect on the bar maid. It was brilliant - first time at a bar in years.

Tell me, have you taken yours on a bus yet?

I've been granted a free bus pass, but have never used it. I filled in the form at the insistence of my OT as she thought I could take my last one on the bus, but it was too big (six wheels) despite being a class 2.

I know this is a few cm longer than they specify for buses and it's a class 3, but surely the space isn't that critical is it? I've seen some HUGE pushchairs stuffed in the space before now and nothing has ever been said. Do the drivers take that much notice?

I'm hoping this chair is going to give me a lot more freedom as I can take it indoors as well. Until now, I have had to leave my scooter outside which meant I could only ever walk a few steps inside and only then if I had someone with me to scout the way ahead and help me into a seat.

No I haven't, well not in the UK anyway. Don't really travel by bus. Plenty of trains and the London Underground though. All with no issues.

I've only used one once in the last ten years and only a handful of times in the last thirty. However, as I find getting myself and my chair on and off my minibus (and driving it as well) such a chore and quite difficult, I thought I should give it a try.

At least then, I can have a drink as I won't need to worry about driving. A bonus of course is that it will be free - can't look a gift horse in the mouth can I?

Thanks for your help.

I travel on buses nearly every day and it is easy. I have the You Q Liam RWD,so similar in size etc just reversed and as long as you go slow its easy. I use the trams,trains and taxis regular too and they are easy too as long as you take your time. After a couple times you'll have it sussed out. Hope you enjoy your new found freedom! ?

A chair should be comfortable enough to keep its users spend maximum hours sitting on it. Looking at your situation, opt for a chair with wide dense seat pan and a high back. A mesh back will help you in eliminating sweat patches. Make sure that the dual caster wheels are made of nylon, capable of traversing over all floors. The pneumatic adjustment must help you in adjusting your chair as per your comfort. You can get such chairs at a budget price with guaranteed comfort. Hope this helps.

Thank you for your comments.

Well, I'm getting on with the Puma OK now. I have it in FWD, but find it terrible at higher speeds - it's so unstable it can be quite frightening at times. It reminds me of being on a go-kart track as a youngster; go too fast and you end up facing the wrong way as the kart spins. The wheelchair does the same.

Having done some reading on wheelchairdriver.com, the general consensus is that FWD is better for getting close to tables and ease of turning, but RWD is much more stable and easier to manage at speed (well, 6mph - hardly speed).

I'm told it's easy to change it to RWD by the removal of four bolts, but although I could probably get that done for me, the controller (R-Net) needs re-configuring - not so easy.

I've still not tried it on a bus, but it's great to be able to take it into places with me instead of leaving it outside as I did with my mobility scooter. Walking is far too painful and difficult for me now and the short distances I can manage are just not worth the pain and/or risk of falling.

Quote Originally Posted by Sky View Post
    Thanks Vantage,

That looks like a nice chair; now I have a third one to consider. I like the central leg rest option (I have that now) - less corners to bash.

Good suspension is a must for me as I suffer with a lot of back, neck and joint pain, so how is it on rough ground and kerbs?

Where I live, the pavement and road surfaces are appalling - I've know better in third world countries.

Did you opt for front or rear wheel drive and do you have the kerb climber?

Does the higher speed effect the torque at lower speeds to any noticeable degree?

I've had (and tried) lots of different scooters, but am pretty ignorant when it comes to chairs, so if anyone else has any suggestions or recommendations, please keep them coming . . .
    The golden technologies lift chair guide may solve your purpose!! You may try one..