Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kymco K-Active Power Chair

Question Kymco K-Active Power Chair

K-Active

Does anyone use one of these chairs or have any experience of them?

I'm hoping to get a little help from Wheelchair Services and this seems quite well built for around £2000.00.

My only other choice is to spend a LOT more money on an Otto Bock B600. The beauty of this, is that I can add lift and tilt.

All opinions welcome.

Sorry I've had no experience of either. However, K-Active does appear to represent good value for money.

I went for a Puma 40 Pro, having first hired one. I have the seat raiser option which completely changes the dynamics when talking to people. Now I'm at eye level etc it's a different experience.
    No single thing can define me; not my work, not my politics, not my hobbies, not my vices and not my disability. I'm way more complex than that!

Thanks Vantage,

That looks like a nice chair; now I have a third one to consider. I like the central leg rest option (I have that now) - less corners to bash.

Good suspension is a must for me as I suffer with a lot of back, neck and joint pain, so how is it on rough ground and kerbs?

Where I live, the pavement and road surfaces are appalling - I've know better in third world countries.

Did you opt for front or rear wheel drive and do you have the kerb climber?

Does the higher speed effect the torque at lower speeds to any noticeable degree?

I've had (and tried) lots of different scooters, but am pretty ignorant when it comes to chairs, so if anyone else has any suggestions or recommendations, please keep them coming . . .

No one else have any opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by Sky View Post
    No one else have any opinions?
    You might want to check out the Sunrise Medical Quickie Electric Wheelchairs . . .

http://www.sunrisemedical.co.uk/powe...hairs/salsa-r2

NOTE Wheelchair Vouchers can only be used at companies the Council has trading agreements with. I was only offered £200 towards an electric indoor/outdoor wheelchair other Councils offer up to £2,000.

You can lease-hire this brand of wheelchair through motorbility.

Thanks for the link and suggestion.

I've just managed to pick up a three month old Puma 40 with seat lift and full tilt as well as a central leg rest. With a p/x on my current one it should only cost me another £1500.00 or so.

I don't suppose the NHS would have offered much anyway and our local dealers are useless, so I shall tell them to put the money towards someone more deserving. I'm lucky that I could afford my own, it's so unfair for people that can't.

Well, what with that as well as my WAV minibus (a really old one) passing it's MOT today, maybe I should buy a lottery ticket with all this good luck. My luck is usually always bad, so it makes a nice change.

Hi Sky

I went for front wheel drive as I prefer that setup. Turning circle is a key factor, makes life easier in the office environment. The suspension is good but perhaps a little soft, I would prefer it to be a little harder. Having said that I tested a Salsa M (mid wheel drive) and a Jive F. Neither had much suspension to talk about.

Being front wheel drive can reduce the maximum kerb heights the chair can tackle compared with a rear drive but I can live with that. The chair pulls up over objects rather than being pushed so it can be a smoother drive. With the Salsa M I had to tackle kerbs at pace and then suffer jolts with the first wheels and then the drive wheels. This isn't the case with the Puma.

Off Road in the Puma is good. I followed an off road trail at a local country house, over fields, through woods etc. The seat tilt certainly came into its own at times. Ideally it would have a little more clearance underneath as I did catch the plastic cover a few times.

The torque at lower speeds isn't effected. Mine is limited to 6 mph (class 3) which was a criteria for the local wheelchair service funding.

I'd recommend trying a few chairs if you can.
    Last edited by vantage; 01-16-2017 at 07:40 PM.
    No single thing can define me; not my work, not my politics, not my hobbies, not my vices and not my disability. I'm way more complex than that!

Wheelchair driver.com is where you want to look for anything power chair. They know everything! Good luck!

Hi Vantage,

thank you for that, it sounds promising.

Sadly, the one I mentioned that's 'in moderation' ATM, didn't work out. It had the smaller wheels with hard tyres, which is IMO useless for outdoors.

So, back to seeing what the wheelchair people come up with. Ho hum . . .

Thanks Terry, I've looked at that site many times and learned a lot.

Good news is that, I've managed to pick up a FWD Puma 40 with big fat pneumatic tyres, seat lift, full tilt, 6mph and central leg rest with the R-Net controller. I got a good px price on my Lugano too.

I'm really pleased with it, but now I've got to get used to the control as it's a lot more sensitive than the last two I've used.

Thanks for you help.