Thread: Esa help v work

Esa help v work

Hello, my partner claims in his name but a joint claim for esa. but I may start work at 24.5h per week how will this affect us would my partner still claim some of his benefit or will he lose it completely. Would he claim anything at all or just live on my wage

It depends if the ESA is Contribution Based (CB) or Income Related (IR).

If it is CB ESA then it is paid regardless of savings, capital, or income.
    It could no longer be a joint claim if you were working, it would become his single claim and so would pay less but would still pay the single persons amount.

If it is IR ESA then your working more than 24 hours would mean it would not be paid at all.
    (But he may still have an 'Underlying Entitlement' - which means he qualifies for ESA but is not being paid for other reasons, however NI credits will still be given which count towards his state pension).

Which group is your partner in, WRAG or Support Group?
    If it's WRAG then he will still have to go to WFIs and do Work Related Activities even if he only has the Underlying Entitlement and so is not getting paid ESA.

To find out if the ESA is being paid as CB or IR look on your latest award letter, or give the DWP a call and ask.
    I don't know everything. - But I'm good at searching for, and finding, stuff.

Migration from ESA to Universal Credit- Click here for information.

Kirsty, don't forget you may be entitled to WTC if you do decide to go to work.
    Try one of the online benefit calculators for an idea of entitlement of ESA & WTC.

Thank you for your comment I believe my partner is on support band of esa I believe it's income related