Thread: Could I be entitled to extra bedroom for carer?

Could I be entitled to extra bedroom for carer?

Hi,

Sorry if I've posted in the wrong bit, I wasn't sure where to put this. I currently live in a one bedroom flat as I'm a single person. I have mental health problems, am on medication and see a Psychiatrist and Key Worker. My mum helps me a lot and she stays overnight maybe 2-3 times a week, and she sleeps on the couch.

I've been having a lot of problems with the property I'm in and we made a new housing Application recently. Does anyone know if I'd be entitled to apply for a 2 bedroom flat so that my mum could have her own room? Sometimes I'll swap with my mum and let her sleep in my room as I know how uncomfortable it is on the couch. We've been managing ok with the current arrangements but it would be better if she had her own room. Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

I think you might be eligible to apply for a 2 bed flat on medical grounds if your carer needs to stop overnight.

Also checkout 'home swap' as someone may have what you want and vice versa!

Council Tax. If you pay Council Tax and a person moved in you would lose your single person discount if your mum moved in but not if they weren't related but cared for you they become a 'discretionary' person.

Thanks for the reply Lighttouch, much appreciated :-)