Thread: Anyone had an assessment for motability grant?

Anyone had an assessment for motability grant?

Not a financial assessment. An assessment of you and your needs.

If anyone has had one I'd like to know what it involves as I'm a bit baffled. I've been told that as a first time applicant for a motability grant I need to have an assessment of my needs. The chap I spoke to at motability was not from the grants section (couldn't get through to them) but he went away to speak to them about me and came back and told me they had said I need to have an assessment. He talked about adaptations but he was relaying information so I'm not going to trust 100% what he said. They pay for this assessment but it will likely take about 3 weeks. Then I'd have to actually apply for the grant. That would make it probably 6 months before I got a car (have been given 16 weeks as estimated waiting time) and I simply can't wait that long. I'm not sure what they want to assess. I've used hand controls for the best part of 20 years - do they want to assess whether I need hand controls? Whether I need an automatic? Whether I need a hoist? Whether I need a scooter/wheelchair? Whether I need a higher seat and low sill (as well as getting myself in I use a rollator to get from my flat to my car and need to lift that over the sill to store in car. I wouldn't be able to lift it into the boot even if there was room). There are 1 or 2 other features I need but they mostly come with the car I want rather than being extras.

I can easily provide evidence that I need all those things (dr letter, PIP award, driving licence) so I'm not sure why they want to spend money assessing me? I have no problem providing bank statements and pay slips to be financially assessed (I work but am on a low income). I have no problem discussing what I need in a car and no problem looking at any other car they think might be suitable. I don't even have a huge problem with being turned down for a grant (would be disappointed but would accept it) but I'm frustrated with being told I need this assessment with no explanation of why or what it involves especially as it's delaying everything. I need a new car with hoist urgently as I can't manage my current setup much longer (not currently on motability, just qualified for the scheme). I need to get something ordered very soon.

I'm getting off the point a bit. I just wanted to know if anyone knew what these sort of assessments for motability grants are about, and if anyone has experience of timescales when applying for motability grants.

What a pain!
    I have no experience of Motability so this is just a shot in the dark - but if you know which car you want possibly the dealership could help? Maybe they can confirm to Motability the car suits your needs.
    Good luck, hope you get things sorted without having to wait too long

I don’t know the answer to your question but I would have thought that a Financial Assessment was more to do with the ability to pay or not pay for the adaption than whether you need the adaption’s or not.

Ops sorry just seen your headline and “not a financial assessment”, forget everything I’ve said.
    Last edited by ChrisK; 02-10-2017 at 05:18 PM. Reason: re-read post.