Thread: Taking prescription medication abroad

Taking prescription medication abroad

Hi folks!

Was wondering how many people go abroad with prescription medication, I plan on visiting the states in a few months and believe there TSA officials are renowned for showing disabled people up, it will be a 9 hour flight so being stuck in customs for X amount of hours while they test my medication which I need and if they refuse it into the country do I have the right to return on the next flight free of charge as going without my medication can cause me to have severe complications, I will be taking a weeks supply just in case suitcase gets lost in transit, but 4 weeks without I couldn't cope, I will have a letter from my consultants and GP but I'm aware they have the right to refuse just wondering how many have come across such situations

Quote Originally Posted by Blastoff View Post
    Hi folks!

Was wondering how many people go abroad with prescription medication, I plan on visiting the states in a few months and believe there TSA officials are renowned for showing disabled people up, it will be a 9 hour flight so being stuck in customs for X amount of hours while they test my medication which I need and if they refuse it into the country do I have the right to return on the next flight free of charge as going without my medication can cause me to have severe complications, I will be taking a weeks supply just in case suitcase gets lost in transit, but 4 weeks without I couldn't cope, I will have a letter from my consultants and GP but I'm aware they have the right to refuse just wondering how many have come across such situations
    Firstly carry all medicines in carry on luggage, never put in the hold.

Secondly, what medicines are you talking about?

I visit the States four times a year and carry all my medicines, the only time I have ever had to get any type of letter from my GP was when I took a controlled drug.

They have never shown me up at customs with medicines so no idea where you have got that from.

Quote Originally Posted by bspm View Post
    Firstly carry all medicines in carry on luggage, never put in the hold.

Secondly, what medicines are you talking about?

I visit the States four times a year and carry all my medicines, the only time I have ever had to get any type of letter from my GP was when I took a controlled drug.

They have never shown me up at customs with medicines so no idea where you have got that from.
    First of all don't criticise on my last statement, yes TSA do have a habit of picking out disabled people, they have even been told by the department of Home Security on numerous occasions to not ask why disabled people wear incontinace aids, catheter bags being one! Second of all liquid oramorph is still a liquid so from your professional advice I think I'd rather go to McDonald's even my nanna knows she can't carry it on the plane as carry on luggage, secondly as I mentioned above the disability act doesn't apply to TSA officials as it's a security matter (thanks bin laden) and if your carrying controlled drugs for a 2 months supply in your carry on and not being questioned then I'm santa clause or your only taking sugar pills! And just to add you've bound to of been questioned to as why you visit "several" times a year when you carry drugs through customs, so politely please don't criticise my questions like you weren't criticised when you needed help with all your appeals for benefits!

I took a controlled drug out the country last year. I had to give the GP a few weeks notice and a copy of the itinerary. They get you a letter from the home office stating what you have etc. If I mind right your only allowed 100mls bottles so if you need 500mls its 5 bottles,ask your pharmacist if they can give you plastic bottles for obvious reasons. They do ask you to see it and test it at security. I'm sure that's all but if I remember more I'll post.
    Good luck buddy

Thanks terry, I spoke to my GP who is doing that exact thing this trump ban thing is making things worse!

No prob buddy,hope everything goes smooth for you.
    My partner is sure it has to go in your hand luggage,they take it at security and test it to make sure it is what you say and matches your letter. That was Edinburgh going to Majorca so yours may be a wee bit different but I imagine it will be similar stuff. As I said too try for the plastic bottles so your meds are a wee bit safer just in case.

Aye Trump is nuts for sure!

Bet your looking forward to getting away? Lucky you! Wish it was me.!

Blastoff,
    Having prescription for Oramorph, personally as well as other controlled medications, I can understand your apprehension.
    One thing to remember is, people will tend to make a noise about a bad experience, which will resonate and spread more easily, whereas those who have travelled without problems, tend to enjoy the experience, and come home with a smile, without taking to the presses to shout about it so to speak.
    Different treatment but my father has metal implants, joints and apart from a double check at metal detector by way of pat down, never has a problem.
    Just think of this forum, most people will say something when in crisis or need of help due to a problem, with PIP or ESA say. Look forward to your holiday, and hope you have a great time and come home with a smile.
    Mz

Very excited to go away, not until June 24th tho but just was looking for advice, I usually carry a weeks supply in my hand luggage and the rest in checked never been pulled aside over it and visited California several times flying from Gatwick, i usually just pack all my medication (controlled and dosset) box all together, and a copy of my prescription, never went to GP for a letter etc, the only problem is there hospitals have no idea the generic names of the medication I take which sucks!

Thanks all

The recommendation by all airlines is to pack all medications in your hand luggage. I too travel abroad and never had a problem, my liquids go in a poly bag for the security scanner.
    I also take 2 weeks extra supply with me erring on the side of caution should anything go wrong especially with the return journey.

I'd also suggest taking a copy of the prescription with you as that should be enough for customs, but also doctors letter is a good idea. But make sure the boxes have labels so if need they can be identified easily by the authorities.